Wedding Music Checklist: Ceremony & Reception Song Lists
Last Updated: May 8, 2023 | Written by Matthew Campbell (Editor of My Wedding Songs and wedding DJ)
Congrats — you’re getting married!
What songs do you need for the wedding ceremony AND the reception?
Selecting wedding songs can be a daunting task. To help in your song search, we created lists of popular wedding music.
These lists are categorized by event type and genre in case you need inspiration.
It can be a challenge to narrow down your song selection until you nail down the parts of the wedding you’ll include.
A wedding ceremony starts with the prelude (songs played as guests take their seats) and finishes with recessional songs (exiting the ceremony).
Will you include a special song during the unity ceremony (to signify two becoming one) or skip it altogether?
Wedding reception songs include all activities from the wedding couple’s grand entrance to the last dance song.
But will you have the money dance or honor the longest-married couple with a special anniversary dance?
We’re here to help.
Which songs do you want to play before the wedding ceremony officially begins?
Wedding Ceremony Songs
Wedding processional songs are for when the wedding party enters the ceremony venue and walks down the aisle. What kind of mood do you want to set for the processional?
These are popular wedding songs that are played as guests take their seats as the wedding ceremony begins.
- Wedding Ceremony Prelude Songs (As Guests Take Their Seats)
- Piano Wedding Songs
- Violin Wedding Songs
Ceremony Entrance Songs
As the wedding party enters the ceremony venue and walks towards the altar, view a list of popular wedding processional songs.
- Best Wedding Processional Songs Updated
- Bride Processional Songs
- Groom Processional Songs
- Harry Potter Wedding Entrance Songs
- Processional Songs from the Movies
Unity Ceremony Songs
The unity candle ceremony is when the wedding couple lights their unity candle in unison from their individually lit candles. How long of a song do you want for this ceremony?
- Best Unity Ceremony Songs Updated
Ceremony Exit Songs
These are popular wedding recessional songs for when the wedding party leaves the altar area after the newlyweds are announced.
- Best Wedding Recessional Songs Updated
Wedding Reception Songs
Our wedding reception songs lists help the couple choose songs that they can dance to with their friends and family on the big day. The wedding songs selected will always remind you of the fun and special moments from your wedding.
Formal dances during a wedding reception
There are common formal dances that are planned for many weddings; view the popular formal dances with their accompanying songs. The following dances are all on one web page for your convenience.
First Dance Songs
If you’re stumped as to what your first dance song should be, here is a list of popular songs to play for the first dance.
- Best First Dance Songs Updated
- Scottish Wedding First Dances
- Intercultural Mexican & White First Dance Songs
Father Daughter Dance Songs
What song will you dance to with your dad on this special day?
- Best Father-Daughter Dance Songs Updated
- Combined Parent Dance Songs – Father-Daughter & Mother-Son
- Stepdad & Stepdaughter Songs
Father Son Songs
Perhaps you’d like to dedicate a song to your dad. We have a list for that.
- Best Father-Son Songs Updated
Mother Daughter Songs
A special day for any bride is to honor her mother with a dedication song. Which song shows how special she is to you?
- Best Mother Daughter Songs Updated
Mother Son Dance Songs
Which song will represent your relationship when you dance with your mom at the reception?
- Best Mother Son Dance Songs Updated
- Combined Parent Dance Songs – Father-Daughter & Mother-Son
- Stepmom & Stepson Songs
In-Law Dance Songs
Yes, the in-laws should have a chance to dance at the reception, too.
Many times, the wedding party wants to dedicate a song to their sister. This is a great list to choose from.
- Best Sister Songs Updated
Sister Brother Songs
Perhaps you’d like to dedicate a song to your brother, as the bride, and let him know your relationship will always be special.
- Best Sister Brother Songs List Updated
Dedicating a song to your brother is a great way to honor the relationship you’ve had and will continue to have after the wedding.
- Best Brother Songs Updated
Wedding Party Songs
The Wedding Party came together to support the couple. This song honors those friendships.
- Best Wedding Party Dance Songs Updated
Other songs for the wedding party:
The bouquet and garter toss
It is a common tradition for the bride to toss her bouquet to all the single ladies in attendance. In addition, it is a common tradition for the groom to toss the Bride’s garter to all the single men in attendance.
Bouquet Toss Songs
When you toss the bouquet, which song will be the best to set the mood?
- Best Bouquet Toss Songs Updated
Garter Removal Songs
If you’re opting for the garter removal ceremony, we have a few songs to choose from.
- Best Garter Removal Songs Updated
Garter Toss Songs
Of course, if you toss the garter to the single men in the crowd, we have song lists for that.
- Best Garter Toss Songs Updated
Garter Placement Songs
These are the most popular songs to play while the garter toss winner places the bride’s garter on the winner of the bouquet toss. Steamy!
- Best Garter Placement Songs Updated
Common Events and Dedications
View popular song lists for special events during a wedding reception like an anniversary, the cake cutting, and memorial songs.
The anniversary dance celebrates all married couples in attendance.
- Best Anniversary Dance Songs Updated
Dancing – Party Time!
Get people off of their butts and on the dance floor!
- 200 Best Party Songs Updated
Are you looking for popular songs to play while guests eat their main course?
Cake Cutting Songs
If there is an event people are watching, then there’s a song. So which song is best to play during the cake-cutting ceremony and toast?
- Best Wedding Cake Cutting Songs Updated
Grand Entrance Songs
The grand entrance honors the entire wedding party. These popular songs will give you ideas of what to play as the wedding party and the wedding couple enter the reception venue.
- Best Wedding Entrance Songs Updated
Group Line Dance Songs
If you want to get everyone involved, then why not have group line dancing?
- Best Line Dance Songs For Groups Updated
Last Dance Songs
Just as people remember their last bite, they will also remember the evening’s last song so make it a good one.
- Best Last Dance Songs Updated
It’s hard to choose a song to remember a lost loved one, especially at a time of joy. We have some inspiration for you.
- Best Memorial Songs Updated
Money Dance Songs
If you have the money dance at your wedding, you’ll want to choose from popular songs played — especially since multiple songs are needed for this fun event.
- Best Money Dance Songs Updated
Do Not Play
Hey, some songs just shouldn’t be played at a wedding.
Wedding music sets the tone for the entire wedding event.
Your song choices add charm and personality to the whole wedding affair.
Unique Wedding Song Lists
- Boy Band Cocktail Hour Songs
- British Music Artists To Celebrate A Royal Wedding
- ‘Canon In D’ Ceremony Song Versions
- Catholic Wedding Songs
- Cheesy Songs Not To Play At Weddings
- Acoustic Covers Wedding Hits
- Acoustic Wedding Songs
- Duet Songs
- Groom Dedication Songs
- LGBTQ+ Wedding Songs
- Marriage Proposal Songs Not “Marry Me”
- Outdoor Wedding Music Ideas
- Rain On Your Wedding Day Songs to Play
- Slow Dance Songs
- Songs to Inspire You When Writing Your Wedding Vows
- Superhero Movie Music for a Wedding Soundtrack
- UK Wedding Music Picks
- Wedding Selfie Dance Songs For Your Reception
- Wedding Song Lyrics – Finding the Right Wedding Songs
Thanks Kam. If you have any recommendations, being a DJ, we would love any advice you can offer.