For a complete list of 70s songs for weddings, please visit our best 70’s songs for weddings web page. We will offer our favorite 70’s love songs by year with 2 songs from each year.
The 70’s were about love and peace and war. Those feelings were expressed through popular music. However, we want to showcase the love songs of the 70’s that reflect the love in a relationship only. We feature songs in many different styles including rock, R&B and pop music.
70’s Love Songs
1. Bridge Over Troubled Water – Simon & Garfunkel Released in February 1970. Won 5 Grammys: Song Of The Year, Record Of The Year, Best Contemporary Song, Best Engineered Record, and Best Arrangement Accompanying Vocalists. The album also won Album Of The Year.
2. I’ll Be There – Jackson 5 Released in September 1970
Love songs from 1971
3. You’ve Got A Friend – James Taylor Released in June 1971. Won Best Contemporary Vocal Performance by a Male.
4. Let’s Stay Together – Al Green Released in December 1971. Won Best Contemporary Vocal Performance by a Male.
Love songs from 1972
5. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face – Roberta Flack Released in March 1972. Won Record of The Year and Song of the Year.
6. Lean On Me – Bill Withers Released in April 1972.
Love songs from 1973
7. You Are The Sunshine Of My Life – Stevie Wonder Released in March 1973. Won Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Male.
8. Just You ‘N’ Me – Chicago Released in September 1973.
Love songs from 1974
9. I Honestly Love You – Olivia Newton-John Released in September 1974. Won Song of the Year and Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Female.
10. You’re the First, the Last, My Everything – Barry White Released in December 1974.
Love songs from 1975
11. Love Will Keep Us Together – Captain & Tenille Released in April 1975. Won Song of the Year.
12. Fallin’ In Love – Joe Frank & Reynolds Hamilton Released in June 1975.
Love songs from 1976
13. I’d Really Love to See You Tonight – England Dan and John Ford Coley Released in June 1976.
14. Love Theme From A Star Is Born (Evergreen) – Barbara Streisand Released in December 1976. Won Song of the Year in 1977.
Love songs from 1977
15. When I Need You – Leo Sayer Released in February 1977.
16. Sometimes When We Touch – Dan Hill Released in December 1977.
Love songs from 1978
17. Always and Forever – Heatwave Released in January 1978.
18. Three Time a Lady – The Commodores Released in June 1978.
Love songs from 1979
19. Stumblin’ In – Suzi Quatro & Chris Norman Released in January 1979. This is the fastest tempo song on the list but one of our favorites of the 70’s.
20. I’ll Never Love This Way Again – Dionne Warwick Released in June 1979. Won Best Vocal Performance by a Female.
Matt loves listening to any music style he can understand the words. He lives in the wedding capital of the world, Las Vegas, with his wife Sharon. Matt's other likes include craft beer, baseball, and traveling.