1997 was a year that offers up something for everyone that is searching for the perfect wedding song. There are choices from James Taylor, Elton John, and Tim McGraw to make your wedding day one to remember. Here is a look at the best 1997 wedding songs.
Best Wedding Songs of 1997
Something About the Way You Look Tonight – Sir Elton John
Sir Elton John followed up his success on the Lion King soundtrack with this sweet piano love ballad, a song that expresses the depth of a man’s emotion for his beautiful partner. The song is used in weddings as a part of the processional, and brides have even played it when they walk down the aisle.
How Do I Live – LeAnn Rimes
LeAnn Rimes had possibly the biggest hit of her career with this 1997 love song that captures the need of one partner for another. The slow tempo of the song makes it suitable for many parts of a wedding ceremony, but most couples prefer to save it for that magical first dance together.
As Long as You Love Me – The Backstreet Boys
Few boy bands evoke the sense of nostalgia for 90s kids as well as The Backstreet Boys, and this was one of their biggest hits of the decade. Young couples that were born in this era like to add the song to their wedding reception playlist, and it also works well for introducing the married couple for the first time.
Go the Distance – Michael Bolton
“Go the Distance” is one of the essential songs from the musical catalog of Michael Bolton, and it was used in the animated film Hercules. It is a song that speaks of how willing partners must be to create a new life together, and it is a reminder that going above and beyond for your new spouse is attached to the promises you will make on your wedding day.
Like I Love You – Amy Grant
Amy Grant is a favorite for wedding couples who want to use wholesome music in their wedding ceremonies, and this song from 1997 captures the essence of true love like few others. It is often played while the wedding guests are being seated, and it can also be saved for the cutting of the wedding cake.
It’s Your Love – Tim McGraw and Faith Hill
Tim McGraw and Faith Hill have one of the most enduring romances in music, and they blend their voices on this beautiful 90s love ballad. The simple lyrics of the song are a straightforward dedication from one lover to another, and the song has been used as an alternative to the traditional wedding march.
Love Is the Right Place – Bryan White
All couples want something meaningful to dance to at their wedding reception, and this song by country megastar Bryan White serves that purpose well. It’s a fun, lively love song that reaffirms how you and your new spouse have found a love that will keep you both secure as you move through life together.
You’re Still the One – Shania Twain
This song from Shania Twain is often used in wedding ceremonies by couples that want to stress the forever vows that are made on your wedding day. Years later you will look back on this song fondly as you celebrate your wedding anniversaries with the growing assurance that you found the love of a lifetime.
Here in My Heart – Chicago
The majestic sound of the band Chicago is on full display in this classic love song sang by the band’s keyboardist, Bill Champlin. It is a song that will fill the wedding sanctuary with positive vibes of devotion, and couples generally prefer to incorporate it in the early parts of the wedding ceremony.
Love Is All We Need – Mary J. Blige feat. NAS
Mary J. Blige has many songs that are suitable for a wedding day playlist, and you will want to include this one as a dance tune at your reception. Now that you have found your lifetime love, what more do you need to navigate the challenging waters of life?
Truly Madly Deeply – Savage Garden
This song is perhaps the biggest hit recorded by Savage Garden, a duo that owned the 90s with tender love songs. Songs like this one are perfect wedding choices because they are so versatile and easily applied to wedding processionals, recessionals, and celebratory toasts to the new bride and groom.
Valentine – Martina McBride and Jim Brickman
September 1997, Evolution
Martina McBride and Jim Brickman combined for some powerful 90s love songs, but this one is most often selected as a wedding tune by newlyweds. It speaks of how every day with the one you love is like Valentine’s Day, and if you happen to be saying your vows on February 14th there is no better wedding day choice.
Little More Time with You – James Taylor
May 1997, Hourglass
The soothing voice of James Taylor has been a wedding day favorite for many years, and he is at his finest on this 1997 classic. Taylor’s songs are often used as a part of the formal wedding ceremony because of their laid-back vibe, but this one has also been chosen for a dance between the bride and her father at the reception.
You Should Be Mine (Don’t Waste Your Time) – Brian McKnight feat. Mase
Brian McKnight is mostly known for slow-tempo love songs, but this hip-hop tune from 1997 is perfect for the wedding reception. It’s a song that will encourage everyone to dance, but the lyrics retain all the sentimentality that you want your wedding day song choices to have.
What About Us? – Total feat. Missy Elliott and Timbaland
The girl group Total benefited from guest vocals by Missy Elliott on this dance tune that couples like to groove to on the wedding day. Every wedding needs a few lively songs, and this one has even been used for a send-off when the celebration draws to a close.
One More Time – Real McCoy
This song was one of the few hits for the German dance band Real McCoy, and it is a favorite of couples that want to include some techno-pop in their wedding receptions. The song is a great choice to play as you and your new partner are introduced for the first time as man and wife.
Your Woman – White Town
Those who want something a little bit different for their wedding day will want to consider this song by White Town, an often-overlooked band of the 1990s. Many brides like to use it for a special dance selection with their new spouse on your wedding day.
Listen to our best 1997 wedding songs playlist on Spotify.
A short but favorite list of 1997 wedding songs. Have a song that should be on our list? Be sure to comment it below. Also, check out our list of wedding song by year.
Celebrating weddings in 1997. Where were you and what was happening?
If you were one of the weddings in 1997…
Congratulations on your wedding of 1997. You share your anniversary with the following events.
Celebrity Weddings of 1997
- Gary Oldman and model Donya Fiorentino
- Jennifer Lopez and Ojani Noa
- Sarah McLachlan and Ashwin Sood
- In Las Vegas, The band Oasis’ Noel Gallagher married Meg Mathews at the Little Church of the West.
News Highlights of 1997
- The Simpsons surpassed The Flintstones as the longest-running prime-time animated series.
- Tara Lipinski, 14, becomes the youngest women’s world figure skating champion.
- Diana, Princess of Wales, is killed in a car crash.
- The domain of Google is registered.
- Telecoms WorldCom and MCI Communications announce a merger to form MCI WorldCom (the largest merger in US history).
1997 Sports Champions:
- The Florida Marlins win the World Series.
- Super Bowl XXXI the Green Bay Packers won 35-21 over the New England Patriots.
- The Chicago Bulls win the NBA Title.
- The Detroit Red Wings win the Stanley Cup.
Music Highlights of 1997
- Grammy’s Song of 1997: Change The World – Eric Clapton
- Toni Braxton – I Don’t Want To
- Sheryl Crow – Everyday Is A Winding Road
- Ginuwine – Pony
- White Town – Your Woman
- Chumbawamba – Tubthumping
- Various Artists – The Jock Jam
- Montell Jordan – What’s On Tonight
- Bruce Springsteen – Secret Garden
- Seal – Fly Like An Eagle
- Mr. President – Coco Jamboo
- Aqua – Barbie Girl
- DJ Kool – Let Me Clear My Throat
- Elton John – Candle In The Wind 1997
- Jewel – You Were Meant For Me
- Puff Daddy – I’ll Be Missing You
- Puff Daddy – Can’t Nobody Hold Me Down
- R Kelly – I Believe I Can Fly
- Mark Morrison – Return Of The Mack
- LeAnn Rimes – How Do I Live
- Spice Girls – Wanna Be
- Backstreet Boys – Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)
- Hanson – MMMBop
- Monica – For You, I Will
- Usher – You Make Me Wanna
- Third Eye Blind – Semi-Charmed Life
- Duncan Sheik – Barely Breathing
- Notorious B.I.G. – Mo Money Mo Problems
- Verve Pipe – The Freshman
- Savage Garden – I Want You
- Robyn – Do You Know (What It Takes)
- Boyz II Men – 4 Seasons Of Loneliness
- Freak Nasty – Da’ Dip
- Paula Cole – Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?
- Shawn Colvin – Sunny Came Home
- Tim McGraw And Faith Hill – It’s Your Love
- Gina G – Ooh Aah…Just A Little Bit
- 98 Degrees – Invisible Man
- Foxy Brown – I’ll Be
- Journey – When You Love A Woman
Entertainment Highlights of 1997
- Best Picture: The English Patient: Saul Zaentz
- Best Actor: Geoffrey Rush – Shine
- Best Actress: Frances McDormand – Fargo
Top Television Shows:
- Seinfeld, ER, Veronica’s Closet, Friends, Monday Night Football, Touched By An Angel, 60 Minutes, Union Square, Frasier, Home Improvement
Learn more about 1997 on Wikipedia. Thank you for visit our page – weddings of 1997.