Many touching love songs were released in 1996 by some of the biggest names in popular music. Eric Clapton, Whitney Houston, and Celine Dion are just some of the artists that make 1996 wedding songs an enduring favorite of modern couples.
Best Wedding Songs of 1996
Because You Loved Me – Celine Dion
February 1996, Falling into You
This song by Celine Dion is everything a wedding song should be, from its soulful rhythm to its emotional lyrics. The song is often used as an alternative to the traditional bridal march, and it can also be used for the seating of important wedding guests.
I Love You, Always Forever – Donna Lewis
Donna Lewis notched her biggest hit with this love ballad from 1996. It is a song of sweet promise and devotion, one that you would want to use as a dedication to your partner during the wedding ceremony.
There’s Nothing I Won’t Do – JX
Jake Williams released this dance mix in 1996 under the name JX, and it often finds its way onto the reception playlists of wedding couples today. Even though it is a dance tune, the lyrics reflect the commitment that partners should express in their vows.
Abide with Me – King’s College Choir of Cambridge
Those couples who want to include some traditional spiritual hymns in their wedding ceremony will want to consider this song by King’s College Choir of Cambridge. It is a beautiful modern rendition of a classic hymn that reflects the solemnity and religious overtones of the day.
Change the World – Eric Clapton
Eric Clapton had one of the biggest hits of the 90s with this song from the Phenomenon soundtrack, a pleasing guitar ballad that sums up the hope that accompanies wedding vows. Many grooms like to dedicate this song to their new bride at the reception.
I Want You – Savage Garden
Savage Garden delivered many classic love songs in the 1990s, and this one beautifully expresses the longing shared by newlyweds. It is a song that is best served for cutting the wedding cake or the first toast at the wedding reception.
Let’s Make a Night to Remember – Bryan Adams
A wedding ceremony should provide memories that last for a lifetime, and this song from Bryan Adams reminds couples to make their wedding day special. It is a song that is best used in the later parts of the celebration as the festivities are winding down, and it will help end the ceremony on a high note.
Love is a Good Thing – Sheryl Crow
Sheryl Crow sang about the power of true love in this 1996 hit, and it resonates with couples who see their wedding ceremony as a celebration of optimism for a happy future. The lyrics of the song speak of how love has the power to change the world we live in, and they also remind everyone how precious true love is.
That Thing You Do – The Wonders
This title song of the film That Thing You Do is a peppy love song that is perfect for dancing the night away. Couples who have unique personalities often make this the first song that is played at their wedding reception, and it will encourage everyone to join in the celebration.
Living in a Moment – Ty Herndon
This song was country superstar Ty Herndon’s biggest hit, and its lyrics stress the importance of savoring all the feels of your wedding day. Grooms love to dance with their bride to this song, and it is also sometimes played as the new couple is introduced for the first time.
More Than You’ll Ever Know – Travis Tritt
Travis Tritt is a favorite of couples that appreciate country music, and this single from 1996 sums up love and devotion in a way that is simple yet powerful. Many modern couples have used the song to accompany the lighting of their unity candles, and it also works well as a prelude to the bridal march.
To Be Loved by You – Wynonna
Wynonna Judd continued her crossover into the pop arena with this hit from 1996, and it expresses how magical a bride feels on her special day. Most couples would use this as an alternative to traditional wedding processional hymns, but it has also been selected for the first dance between the bride and groom.
What Kind of Man Would I Be – Mint Condition
The R&B group Mint Condition released this song in 1996 as a soaring testimony of faithfulness and devotion. It is a song that expresses how two individuals leave their past yearnings behind as they make a vow to love each other eternally in the eyes of God and family.
Betcha by Golly, Wow – Prince
The legendary Prince put his spin on an old classic with this rendition of a popular 1996 wedding song. It works well for couples who want to include older wedding music in their ceremony while preserving a modern feel, and “Betcha by Golly, Wow” has even been used as the bridesmaids make their way to the altar.
I Believe in You and Me – Whitney Houston
This song from Whitney Houston was featured in the film The Preacher’s Wife, and it is an honest and spiritual assessment of what marriage vows should be. Many brides have had this song played as they prepare to walk down the altar, and it also serves as a first dance for the happy couple at the wedding party.
Your Love Amazes Me – Michael English
Michael English made a successful attempt to crossover from contemporary Christian music to pop with this cover of a John Berry country hit. The groom might want to consider surprising his bride with this song during the ceremony but be prepared for the emotional tears to fall when the tune is played.
Every Time I Close My Eyes – Babyface
Babyface released his version of this song in 1996, and it is still chosen by wedding couples today for many portions of the marital festivities. It is subtle enough to be used in the wedding processional, and it also fits well into your DJ’s reception playlist if you need songs that encourage dancing.
When You Love a Woman – Journey
This song was considered a major comeback hit for the 80s rock group Journey, and it has remained a perennial wedding song classic since it was released in 1996. It has been sung by grooms for their bride, played as the bride walks down the aisle, and used in many other ways by couples of all ages.
Listen to our best 1996 wedding songs playlist on Spotify.
I hope you enjoyed our list of 1996 wedding songs. Have a song that should be on our list? Be sure to comment on it below. Also, check out our list of wedding song by year.
Celebrating weddings in 1996. Where were you and what was happening?
If you were one of the weddings in 1996…
Congratulations on your wedding of 1996. You share your anniversary with the following events.
Celebrity Weddings of 1996
- Bill O’Reilly wed Maureen Mcphilmy
- Prince wed Mayte Garcia
- Deborra-Lee Furness married Hugh Jackman
- Robin Wright Penn wed Sean Penn
- Clint Eastwood married Dina Ruiz Eastwood
News Highlights of 1996
- An 81-day long standoff between antigovernment Freemen in Jordan, Montana, and federal officers.
- Suspected “Unabomber” Theodore Kaczynski is arrested at his Montana cabin.
- Nintendo 64 is launched in Japan.
- Dolly the sheep, the first mammal to be successfully cloned from an adult cell, is born in Scotland.
- Martina Hingis becomes the youngest person in history (age 15 years and 282 days) to win at Wimbledon in the Ladies’ Doubles event.
- The 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia, and the Centennial Olympic Park bombing.
- Rap legend Tupac Shakur is shot in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Faith Hill and Tim McGraw marry.
- Democrat incumbent Bill Clinton defeats Republican challenger Bob Dole to win his second term.
- STS-80: was the longest mission of the Space Shuttle program, flew by Space Shuttle Columbia.
- JonBenét Patricia Ramsey is murdered in Boulder, Colorado.
1996 Sports Champions:
- The New York Yankees win the World Series defeating the Atlanta Braves.
- Super Bowl XXX – Dallas Cowboys won 27-17 over the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- The Chicago Bulls win the NBA Title over the Seattle SuperSonics.
- The Colorado Avalanche win the Stanley Cup 0ver the Florida Panthers.
Music Highlights of 1996
- Grammy’s Song of 1996: Kiss From A Rose – Seal
- LL Cool J – Doin’ It
- George Michael Fastlove
- Robert Miles – Children
- No Doubt – Just A Girl
- Ginuwine – Pony
- Keith Sweat – Nobody
- Toni Braxton – Un-Break My Heart
- Amber – This Is You Night
- R Kelly – You Remind Me Of Something
- Maxi Priest With Shaggy – That Girl-
- Take That – Back For Good
- Los Del Rio – Macarena
- Mariah Carey And Boyz Ii Men – One Sweet Day
- Celine Dion – Because You Loved Me
- Tony Rich Project – Nobody Knows
- Mariah Carey – Always Be My Baby
- Tracy Chapman – Give Me One Reason
- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony – The Crossroads
- Donna Lewis – I Love You Always And Forever
- Toni Braxton – You’re Makin’ Me High
- Keith Sweat – Twisted
- Quad City DJ’s – C’mon N’ Ride It (The Train)
- Everything But The Girl – Missing
- Alanis Morissette – Ironic
- Brandy – Sittin’ Up In My Room
- 2Pac – California Love
- Eric Clapton – Change The World
- LL Cool J – Hey Lover
- Jann Arden – Insensitive
- La Bouche – Be My Lover
- No Mercy – Where Do You Go
- Dishwalla – Counting Blue Cars
- Joan Osbourne – One Of Us
- Deep Blue Something – Breakfast At Tiffany’s
- Coolio – 1, 2, 3, 4 (Sumpin’ New)
- Blackstreet – No Diggity
- Smashing Pumpkins – 1979
- TLC – Diggin’ On You
- Oasis – Wonderwall
Entertainment Highlights of 1996
- Best Picture: Braveheart: Mel Gibson, Alan Ladd Jr., Bruce Davey
- Best Actor: Nicolas Cage – Leaving Las Vegas
- Best Actress: Susan Sarandon – Dead Man Walking
Top Television Shows:
- ER, Seinfeld, Suddenly Susan, Friends, The Naked Truth, Fired Up, Monday Night Football, The Single Guy, Home Improvement, Touched By An Angel
Learn more about 1996 on Wikipedia. Thank you for visiting our page – weddings of 1996.