Many touching love songs were released in 1996 by some of the biggest names in popular music. Eric Clapton, Whitney Houston, and Celine Dion are just some of the artists that make 1996 wedding songs an enduring favorite of modern couples.
Best Wedding Songs of 1996
Because You Loved Me – Celine Dion
February 1996, Falling into You
This song by Celine Dion is everything a wedding song should be, from its soulful rhythm to its emotional lyrics. The song is often used as an alternative to the traditional bridal march, and it can also be used for the seating of important wedding guests.
I’ll be forever thankful, baby
You’re the one who held me up
Never let me fall
You’re the one who saw me through, through it all
I Love You, Always Forever – Donna Lewis
May 1996, Now in a Minute
Donna Lewis notched her biggest hit with this love ballad from 1996. It is a song of sweet promise and devotion, one that you would want to use as a dedication to your partner during the wedding ceremony.
I love you always forever
Near and far closer together
Everywhere I will be with you
There’s Nothing I Won’t Do – JX
May 1996, Released as a single
Jake Williams released this dance mix in 1996 under the name JX, and it often finds its way onto the reception playlists of wedding couples today. Even though it is a dance tune, the lyrics reflect the commitment that partners should express in their vows.
Oh baby I think of you; my heart is on the line
Oh baby I get with you; my mind feels so fine
Abide with Me – King’s College Choir of Cambridge
January 1996, Be Still My Soul – The Ultimate Hymns Collection
Those couples who want to include some traditional spiritual hymns in their wedding ceremony will want to consider this song by King’s College Choir of Cambridge. It is a beautiful modern rendition of a classic hymn that reflects the solemnity and religious overtones of the day.
Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies
Heaven’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee
In life, in death, o Lord, abide with me
Change the World – Eric Clapton
July 1996, Phenomenon
Eric Clapton had one of the biggest hits of the 90s with this song from the Phenomenon soundtrack, a pleasing guitar ballad that sums up the hope that accompanies wedding vows. Many grooms like to dedicate this song to their new bride at the reception.
If I could reach the stars
I’d pull one down for you
Shine it on my heart
So you could see the truth
That this love I have inside
Is everything it seems
I Want You – Savage Garden
May 1996, Savage Garden
Savage Garden delivered many classic love songs in the 1990s, and this one beautifully expresses the longing shared by newlyweds. It is a song that is best served for cutting the wedding cake or the first toast at the wedding reception.
Oh, I want you, I don’t know if I need you
But oh, I would die to find out
Let’s Make a Night to Remember – Bryan Adams
August 1996, 18 til I Die
A wedding ceremony should provide memories that last for a lifetime, and this song from Bryan Adams reminds couples to make their wedding day special. It is a song that is best used in the later parts of the celebration as the festivities are winding down, and it will help end the ceremony on a high note.
Let’s make a night, to remember
From January, to December
Let’s make love, to excite us
A memory, to ignite us
Love is a Good Thing – Sheryl Crow
September 1996, Sheryl Crow
Sheryl Crow sang about the power of true love in this 1996 hit, and it resonates with couples who see their wedding ceremony as a celebration of optimism for a happy future. The lyrics of the song speak of how love has the power to change the world we live in, and they also remind everyone how precious true love is.
Dance children, dance to the beat,
Want to rock and roll up and down the street,
I’ve got a message
Love is a good thing
That Thing You Do – The Wonders
September 1996, That Thing You Do! Soundtrack
This title song of the film That Thing You Do is a peppy love song that is perfect for dancing the night away. Couples who have unique personalities often make this the first song that is played at their wedding reception, and it will encourage everyone to join in the celebration.
I know all the games you play
And I’m gonna find a way to let you know that
You’ll be mine someday
Living in a Moment – Ty Herndon
August 1996, Living in a Moment
This song was country superstar Ty Herndon’s biggest hit, and its lyrics stress the importance of savoring all the feels of your wedding day. Grooms love to dance with their bride to this song, and it is also sometimes played as the new couple is introduced for the first time.
This old cold world just got a little warmer
For the rest of my life I’m gonna hold you in my arms
More Than You’ll Ever Know – Travis Tritt
July 1996, The Restless Kind
Travis Tritt is a favorite of couples that appreciate country music, and this single from 1996 sums up love and devotion in a way that is simple yet powerful. Many modern couples have used the song to accompany the lighting of their unity candles, and it also works well as a prelude to the bridal march.
I’m sure you’ve heard it said hearts have windows
But mine has doors a painful past has closed
Unless someday they open wide revealing feelings locked inside
I’ll love you more than you’ll ever know
To Be Loved by You – Wynonna
January 1996, Revelations
Wynonna Judd continued her crossover into the pop arena with this hit from 1996, and it expresses how magical a bride feels on her special day. Most couples would use this as an alternative to traditional wedding processional hymns, but it has also been selected for the first dance between the bride and groom.
No matter how many miles and dreams
Come between us now
In each step I take, with each prayer I make
This love will live somehow
What Kind of Man Would I Be – Mint Condition
September 1996, Definition of a Band
The R&B group Mint Condition released this song in 1996 as a soaring testimony of faithfulness and devotion. It is a song that expresses how two individuals leave their past yearnings behind as they make a vow to love each other eternally in the eyes of God and family.
Still here we are both together
With promises made that we’d never
Yet feeling it now more than ever
I can’t deny
Betcha by Golly, Wow – Prince
November 1996, Emancipation
The legendary Prince put his spin on an old classic with this rendition of a popular 1996 wedding song. It works well for couples who want to include older wedding music in their ceremony while preserving a modern feel, and “Betcha by Golly, Wow” has even been used as the bridesmaids make their way to the altar.
You’re the one that I’ve been waiting for forever
And ever will my love for you keep growing strong
I Believe in You and Me – Whitney Houston
December 1996, The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack
This song from Whitney Houston was featured in the film The Preacher’s Wife, and it is an honest and spiritual assessment of what marriage vows should be. Many brides have had this song played as they prepare to walk down the altar, and it also serves as a first dance for the happy couple at the wedding party.
When all the chips are down, baby
Then I will always be around
Just to be right where you are
My love, you know I love you
Your Love Amazes Me – Michael English
Michael English made a successful attempt to crossover from contemporary Christian music to pop with this cover of a John Berry country hit. The groom might want to consider surprising his bride with this song during the ceremony but be prepared for the emotional tears to fall when the tune is played.
Don’t you ever doubt this love of mine
You’re the only one for me
You give me hope
You give me reason
Every Time I Close My Eyes – Babyface
Recorded 1996 and released in January 1997, The Moment
Babyface released his version of this song in 1996, and it is still chosen by wedding couples today for many portions of the marital festivities. It is subtle enough to be used in the wedding processional, and it also fits well into your DJ’s reception playlist if you need songs that encourage dancing.
And every time I close my eyes
I thank the Lord that I’ve got you
When You Love a Woman – Journey
July 1996, Trial by Fire
This song was considered a major comeback hit for the 80s rock group Journey, and it has remained a perennial wedding song classic since it was released in 1996. It has been sung by grooms for their bride, played as the bride walks down the aisle, and used in many other ways by couples of all ages.
When you love a woman
You see your world inside her eyes
When you love a woman
You know she’s standing by your side
I hope you enjoyed our list of 1996 wedding songs. Have a song that should be on our list? Be sure to comment on it below. Also, check out our list of wedding song by year.
Celebrating weddings in 1996. Where were you and what was happening?
If you were one of the weddings in 1996…
Congratulations on your wedding of 1996. You share your anniversary with the following events.
Celebrity Weddings of 1996
- Bill O’Reilly wed Maureen Mcphilmy
- Prince wed Mayte Garcia
- Deborra-Lee Furness married Hugh Jackman
- Robin Wright Penn wed Sean Penn
- Clint Eastwood married Dina Ruiz Eastwood
News Highlights of 1996
- An 81-day long standoff between antigovernment Freemen in Jordan, Montana, and federal officers.
- Suspected “Unabomber” Theodore Kaczynski is arrested at his Montana cabin.
- Nintendo 64 is launched in Japan.
- Dolly the sheep, the first mammal to be successfully cloned from an adult cell, is born in Scotland.
- Martina Hingis becomes the youngest person in history (age 15 years and 282 days) to win at Wimbledon in the Ladies’ Doubles event.
- The 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia, and the Centennial Olympic Park bombing.
- Rap legend Tupac Shakur is shot in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Faith Hill and Tim McGraw marry.
- Democrat incumbent Bill Clinton defeats Republican challenger Bob Dole to win his second term.
- STS-80: was the longest mission of the Space Shuttle program, flew by Space Shuttle Columbia.
- JonBenét Patricia Ramsey is murdered in Boulder, Colorado.
1996 Sports Champions:
- The New York Yankees win the World Series defeating the Atlanta Braves.
- Super Bowl XXX – Dallas Cowboys won 27-17 over the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- The Chicago Bulls win the NBA Title over the Seattle SuperSonics.
- The Colorado Avalanche win the Stanley Cup 0ver the Florida Panthers.
Music Highlights of 1996
- Grammy’s Song of 1996: Kiss From A Rose – Seal
- LL Cool J – Doin’ It
- George Michael Fastlove
- Robert Miles – Children
- No Doubt – Just A Girl
- Ginuwine – Pony
- Keith Sweat – Nobody
- Toni Braxton – Un-Break My Heart
- Amber – This Is You Night
- R Kelly – You Remind Me Of Something
- Maxi Priest With Shaggy – That Girl-
- Take That – Back For Good
- Los Del Rio – Macarena
- Mariah Carey And Boyz Ii Men – One Sweet Day
- Celine Dion – Because You Loved Me
- Tony Rich Project – Nobody Knows
- Mariah Carey – Always Be My Baby
- Tracy Chapman – Give Me One Reason
- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony – The Crossroads
- Donna Lewis – I Love You Always And Forever
- Toni Braxton – You’re Makin’ Me High
- Keith Sweat – Twisted
- Quad City DJ’s – C’mon N’ Ride It (The Train)
- Everything But The Girl – Missing
- Alanis Morissette – Ironic
- Brandy – Sittin’ Up In My Room
- 2Pac – California Love
- Eric Clapton – Change The World
- LL Cool J – Hey Lover
- Jann Arden – Insensitive
- La Bouche – Be My Lover
- No Mercy – Where Do You Go
- Dishwalla – Counting Blue Cars
- Joan Osbourne – One Of Us
- Deep Blue Something – Breakfast At Tiffany’s
- Coolio – 1, 2, 3, 4 (Sumpin’ New)
- Blackstreet – No Diggity
- Smashing Pumpkins – 1979
- TLC – Diggin’ On You
- Oasis – Wonderwall
Entertainment Highlights of 1996
- Best Picture: Braveheart: Mel Gibson, Alan Ladd Jr., Bruce Davey
- Best Actor: Nicolas Cage – Leaving Las Vegas
- Best Actress: Susan Sarandon – Dead Man Walking
Top Television Shows:
- ER, Seinfeld, Suddenly Susan, Friends, The Naked Truth, Fired Up, Monday Night Football, The Single Guy, Home Improvement, Touched By An Angel
Learn more about 1996 on Wikipedia. Thank you for visiting our page – weddings of 1996.