1985 was a continuation of the pop music successes that defined the previous year. Artists such as Madonna, Whitney Houston, and Huey Lewis produced some hits that are very appropriate for wedding inclusion. Here is a list of the top 1985 wedding songs.
Best Wedding Songs of 1985
Saving All My Love for You – Whitney Houston
August 1985, Whitney Houston
The incomparable Whitney Houston covered this hit originally performed by Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. of the Fifth Dimension. Houston’s moving ballad is steeped in feelings of commitment, making it a perfect choice for those moments in your wedding ceremony which require music.
Broken Wings – Mr. Mister
June 1985, Welcome to the Real World
Mr. Mister was one of those one-hit-wonder bands of the 80s, with this song being the hit in question. “Broken Wings” is a poignant affirmation of love’s power to heal and produce change, and it is a nice tune for slow dancing.
What About Love – Heart
June 1985, Heart
Heart was known for those powerful rockers, but this song has a more laid-back vibe that works well for wedding receptions. It is a song that resonates with most people who understand how important lasting love is to happiness.
I’ll Never Stop Loving You – Gary Morris
July 1985, Anything Goes
Gary Morris helped to redefine the sound of country music in the 1980s with a strong romantic ballad like this one. It can be used as a special song for the bride, perhaps at that moment before the wedding vows begin to be exchanged.
I Fell in Love Again Last Night – The Forester Sisters
June 1985, The Forester Sisters
The Forester Sisters made this the biggest hit of their career, perhaps because the lyrics are something most people can relate to. It reminds us that we should always be looking for new ways to fall in love with our forever partner.
Be Near Me – ABC
April 1985, How to Be a … Zillionaire!
The simplicity of ABC’s lyrics in this 80s hit work well for couples that crave a purely musical expression of love during their wedding ceremony. It can be used as a part of the processional or for a special moment before the lighting of unity candles.
There’s No Way – Alabama
January 1985, 40-Hour Week
Those who appreciate country music will want to include Alabama‘s “There’s No Way” in their wedding music choices. Every partner wants the one they have chosen to know that life would be incomplete without the love that is shared, and this song makes the emotions of your wedding day clear.
You Are My Lady – Freddie Jackson
August 1985, Rock Me Tonight
The soulful tones of Freddie Jackson made this a smash R&B hit in 1985, and it still has a relevant sound. This is a song about the solemn devotion that a man feels for his bride on her special day.
Say You, Say Me – Lionel Richie
October 1985, Dancing on the Ceiling
The message of this Lionel Richie tune from the film White Nights is togetherness, and that fits in wonderfully with wedding celebrations. It is a soft ballad that is sometimes used as a recessional while you and your partner exit the wedding ceremony.
Cherish – Kool and The Gang
May 1985, Emergency
“Cherish” from Kool and The Gang has become an enduring R&B classic, and it’s a song that is often heard at 80s-themed wedding receptions. Everyone will be inspired to dance to the song while you share a tender moment with your one and only.
You Make Me Feel Like a Man – Ricky Skaggs
August 1985, Live in London
Songs from a groom to his bride are often overlooked on your wedding day, but this one by Ricky Skaggs at least merits a spot on the reception playlist. A few songs are needed during a wedding to reinforce the idea that this is meant to be the most special day of a young woman’s life.
Crazy For You – Madonna
March 1985, Vision Quest
This was just one of many hits that Madonna enjoyed during the 80s, and it was the love theme for the movie Vision Quest. The song works well for a first dance between the new bride and groom, but some couples have also played it as guests are being seated for the ceremony.
Your Personal Touch – Evelyn “Champagne” King
1985, A Long Time Coming
Evelyn “Champagne” King released this R&B tune for RCA in 1985. It has a traditional R&B vibe that plays well for wedding receptions, but it can also be used in other parts of the wedding ceremony.
Have I Got a Deal For You – Reba McEntire
June 1985, Reba McEntire
Reba McEntire is an artist that should be included in the wedding festivities of couples that prefer country music. This song is about faith in the promise that is made on your wedding day, an expression of commitment that is rewarded by taking a chance on love.
Tender Love – Force MD’s
December 1985, Krush Groove and Chillin’
The Force MD’s hit all the right notes with this sweet ballad about young love. It should be used to create a special moment in the wedding ceremony that gives everyone the time to reflect on the sweetness of saying one’s wedding vows.
Greatest Love Of All – Whitney Houston
August 1985, Whitney Houston
Whitney Houston had so many hits in 1985 that it is almost impossible to exclude one from your wedding ceremony. Even though this one is a sentimental expression of love from a mother to an unborn child, it has been used as a focal point of wedding ceremonies by many couples.
The Power of Love – Huey Lewis & the News
June 1985, Back to the Future Soundtrack
Soundtracks are a big source of 1985 wedding songs, and this one from Back to the Future is certainly one of the most recognized of the year. Huey Lewis sings about all the ways that love conveys an almost magical ability to overcome the greatest obstacles.
Heaven – Bryan Adams
April 1985, A Night in Heaven Soundtrack
Few songs can match the vivid romantic imagery of this classic by Bryan Adams. This is a song that can be played after the bride has made her entrance and joined the groom at the altar.
I’m the One Who Loves You – Ready for the World
September 1985, Ready For The World
Soul classics are frequently chosen for wedding receptions and dinners, and this one by Ready for the World was a chart-topper in 1985. It might be a little too much for use in the ceremony, but it works great for as a special dance number for the new couple.
Until You Say You Love Me – Aretha Franklin
January 1985, Who’s Zoomin’ Who?
The Queen of Soul is a great addition to any wedding day playlist. Aretha Franklin sings about the desire that cannot be quenched when you have found that person you want to spend your life with.
Can’t Stop Love – Maurice White
1985, Stand By Me
Maurice White reminds everyone why love is so powerful with this soulful ballad. The heart chooses and we must follow, and once the spark of love is lit there is nothing that can extinguish it.
Feel So Real – Steve Arrington
1985, Dancin’ in the Key of Life
Steve Arrington might not be as familiar as some of the other names on this list, but the sincerity of his vocals invests this song with romantic power. Try it as an alternative to selections that are normally made for the first dance at the reception.
Listen to our best 1985 wedding songs playlist on Spotify.
If you like this list of 1985 wedding songs, you may like to check out our list of the best ’80s wedding songs.
Celebrating wedding songs of 1985. Where were you and what was happening?
If you were one of the weddings in 1985…
Congratulations on your wedding of 1985. You share your anniversary with the following events.
Celebrity Weddings of 1985
- Hajna O. Moss married Laurence Fishburne
- Joanne Fox married David Gahan
- Madonna married Sean Penn
- April Snipes married Wesley Snipes
- Jayne Kennedy married Bill Overton
News Highlights of 1985
- Coca-Cola announces a new formula. Mass protests and boycotts force the company to reintroduce the original formulation, now called Coke Classic. It quickly outsells the new Coke 10 to 1.
- The baseball commissioner calls for drug testing for all non-union personnel and players.
- Arab terrorists seize a TWA plane after takeoff from Athens and hold 39 Americans hostage for 17 days.
- The Live Aid concert for African famine relief is held in Philadelphia and London.
- After 73 years, French and American researchers find the Titanic in water 12,000 feet deep south of Newfoundland.
- Cincinnati’s Pete Rose scores career hit 4,192 beating Ty Cobb’s 57-year-old record.
1985 Sports Champions:
- The Kansas City Royals win the World Series over the St. Louis Cardinals.
- Super Bowl XIX – San Francisco 49ers won 38-16 over the Miami Dolphins.
- The Los Angeles Lakers win the NBA Title over the Boston Celtics.
- The Edmonton Oilers win the Stanley Cup over the Philadelphia Flyers.
Music Highlights of 1985
- Grammy’s Song of 1985: We Are The World – USA For Africa
- Mr. Mister – Broken Wings
- REO Speedwagon – Can’t Fight This Feeling
- Wham! – Careless Whisper
- Foreigner – I Want To Know What Love Is
- Dire Straits – Money For Nothing
- Huey Lewis & The News – The Power Of Love
- Lionel Richie – Say You, Say Me
- Tears For Fears – Shout
- Starship – We Built This City
- Starship – Sara
- Simple Minds – Don’t You (Forget About Me)
- Phil Collins – One More Night
- Madonna – Crazy For You
- Tears For Fears – Everybody Wants To Rule The World
- Wham! – Everything She Wants
- Bryan Adams – Heaven
- Paul Young – Every time You Go Away
- Phil Collins – Sussudio
- John Parr – St. Elmo’s Fire (Man In Motion)
- A-Ha – Take On Me
- Ready For The World – Oh Sheila
- Whitney Houston – Saving All My Love For You
- Jan Hammer – Miami Vice Theme
- Stevie Wonder – Part-Time Lover
- Phil Collins & Marilyn Martin – Separate Lives
- Dionne Warwick & Friends – That’s What Friends Are For
- Whitney Houston – How Will I Know
- Mr. Mister – Kyrie
Entertainment Highlights of 1985
- Best Picture: Amadeus: Saul Zaentz
- Best Actor: F. Murray Abraham – Amadeus
- Best Actress: Sally Field – Places in the Heart
Top Television Shows:
- Cheers, The Cosby Show, Dallas, Dynasty, Family Ties, The Golden Girls, Miami Vice, Murder, She Wrote, 60 Minutes, Who’s The Boss?
Learn more about 1985 on Wikipedia. Thank you for visiting our page – wedding songs of 1985.