Those who want to include 80’s music at their wedding will find that 1983 was one of the best years of the decade. It was filled with tender ballads and dance grooves from some of the 80’s biggest stars. Here’s a list of the top 1983 wedding songs.
Best Wedding Songs Of 1983
Faithfully – Journey
The Jonathan Cain lyrics of this Journey hit are exceptionally suited to weddings. It’s about the commitment that both of you are making to one another, and you should play it right before you take your vows.
We’ve Got Tonight – Kenny Rogers and Sheena Easton
Bob Seger wrote this touching love song, and Kenny Rogers and Sheena Easton did it justice in 1983. This is the song that you want to kick off your wedding reception, so save it for that first special dance.
Tonight, I Celebrate My Love – Peabo Bryson and Roberta Flack
Peabo Bryson and Roberta Flack made this a wedding song for the ages. It is another good choice for your first dance or a wedding toast at the reception, but some have even used it as an alternative to the traditional recessional.
True – Spandau Ballet
When Steve Buscemi does his take on this Spandau Ballet song in The Wedding Singer everyone laughs. At your wedding, it will make those happy tears flow with its straightforward message of devotion.
All Time High – Rita Coolidge
Every Breath You Take – The Police
You and your partner will enjoy dancing to this song by The Police. It expresses that the protective vibe you get from your one and only.
Let’s Dance – David Bowie
Every wedding reception needs a powerful dance tune to get the celebration rolling. This song from David Bowie has a nice groove that will set the tone for your party and have guests dancing until the wee hours.
All Night Long – Lionel Richie
Another song that must be included for wedding parties is this 1983 classic from Lionel Richie. It works well as a song you would use at the beginning of the wedding reception after you make your dramatic entrance.
Affair of the Heart – Rick Springfield
Rick Springfield was a pop icon of the ’80s, and this song from the Australian singer hits all the right notes in its celebration of true love. It’s a song that you can play for your partner before you make that lasting commitment to one another.
Making Love Out of Nothing at All – Air Supply
Grooms might want to choose this Air Supply song as a special dedication to their beautiful bride. It acknowledges how a partner is there to bring out the best in the one they have chosen to love.
It Might Be You – Stephen Bishop
How joyous it is to find the one that you will grow old with. Stephen Bishop’s hit from the film Tootsie is a perfect song to play as you begin the processional at your wedding.
One on One – Hall & Oates
There is nothing wrong with adding a little steam to your wedding day. Try this song by Hall & Oates as the first dance with your new spouse, and remember that the two of you are now one forever.
You Are – Lionel Richie
Lionel Richie had so many hits in the early ’80s that his work is sure to make it into your wedding. If you only want to choose one from this soulful master, “You Are” is the perfect expression of how much your partner means to you.
Never Gonna Let You Go – Sérgio Mendes
Sérgio Mendes didn’t have many hits outside of his native Brazil, but this one tends to be used in many wedding ceremonies. It’s a song about devotion and the desire to cling tightly to your partner.
Love Is on a Roll – Don Williams
Country music artists like Don Williams supplied plenty of 1983 wedding songs like this one. It’s simple and honest in its expression of emotions, just the way a good country song should be.
Fool for Your Love – Mickey Gilley
This nice piano ballad from country music superstar Mickey Gilley makes for a nice expression of devotion on your wedding day. This 1983 single has a doo-wop vibe that is great for dancing the night away.
I Always Get Lucky with You – Merle Haggard
This chart-topper from 1983 was written by Merle Haggard and sung to perfection by George Jones. There is a message in the lyrics which affirms how lucky you and your partner were to find one another and be joined eternally in the sacred bonds of marriage.
Somebody’s Gonna Love You – Lee Greenwood
This song by Lee Greenwood was one of the top tunes from the Summer of ’83, and it resonates with strong emotional lyrics that every bride can relate to. Today, your search is over and you will stand with the one that is going to love you forever.
A Fire I Can’t Put Out – George Strait
There are many things that help us know when we have found the right one. George Strait, the king of country music, sings about the inability to let that special one get away once they have brightened your life.
The Closer You Get – Alabama
Alabama was one of the dominant country music bands of the ’80s, and this is just one of the band’s hits that is used in many weddings. It’s a tune that is meant to make you recall the feelings from those early days when you were just beginning to fall in love with your partner.
The Rose – Conway Twitty
Conway Twitty released his version of this Bette Midler song in 1983, scoring a crossover hit that puts a country spin on a pop classic. “The Rose” is often used as a part of the wedding ceremony, being played after the bride is given away.
Whatever Happened to Old-Fashioned Love – B.J. Thomas
B.J. Thomas was known for some amazing love songs, and this one is perfect for couples who appreciate the beautiful traditions of the wedding ceremony. It speaks of growing old together and all the simple things that make love grand.
You Can’t Run from Love – Eddie Rabbitt
When true love enters your life there is no escaping the reality that something wonderful is happening. Eddie Rabbitt sings about the certainty of love everlasting in this hit from March 1983.
Baby, What About You – Crystal Gayle
Brides will want to play this for their partner before they make their wedding promise. The lovely voice of Crystal Gayle delivers lyrics that speak of a genuine desire so strong that it can only be satisfied by the commitment of marriage.
Listen to our best 1983 wedding songs playlist on Spotify.
If you like this song list, be sure to check out our song list of the top 100 1980s wedding songs.
Celebrating wedding songs of 1983. Where were you and what was happening?
If you were one of the weddings in 1983…
Congratulations on your wedding of 1983. You share your anniversary with the following events.
Celebrity Weddings of 1983
- Johnny Depp wed Lori Anne Allison
- Andy Griffith wed Cindi Knight
- Kirstie Alley wed Parker Stevenson
- Keith Richards wed Patti Hansen
- Yul Brynner wed Kathy Lee
News Highlights of 1983
- General Motors and Toyota agree to joint production of a subcompact car in the United States.
- President Reagan proposes the Strategic Defense Initiative, which critics name “Star Wars.”
- Peter Jennings becomes ABC’s TV anchor and Tom Brokaw becomes NBC’s TV anchor.
- Sally Ride, a 32-year-old physicist, is the first American woman to go into space.
- More than 1,900 I.S. Marines invade the Caribbean island of Grenada to prevent it from becoming a Soviet puppet state.
1983 Sports Champions:
- The Baltimore Orioles win the World Series over the Philadelphia Phillies.
- Super Bowl XVII – The Washington Redskins win their first Super Bowl title over the Miami Dolphins.
- The Philadelphia ’76ers win the NBA Title over the Los Angeles Lakers.
- The New York Islanders win the Stanley Cup over the Edmonton Oilers.
Music Highlights of 1983
- Grammy’s Song of 1983: Every Breath You Take – The Police
- Lionel Richie – All Night Long (All Night)
- Michael Jackson – Beat It
- Michael Jackson – Billie Jean
- Men At Work – Down Under
- Irene Cara – Flashdance…What A Feeling
- Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton – Islands In The Stream
- Michael Sembello – Maniac
- Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson – Say Say Say
- Bonnie Tyler – Total Eclipse Of The Heart
- Culture Club – Karma Chameleon
- Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Come On Eileen
- David Bowie – Let’s Dance
- Eurythmics – Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
- Billy Joel – Tell Her About It
- Yes – Owner Of A Lonely Heart
- Quiet Riot – Cum On Feel The Noise
- Air Supply – Making Love Out Of Nothing At All
- Eddie Grant – Electric Avenue
Entertainment Highlights of 1983
- Best Picture: Gandhi: Richard Attenborough
- Best Actor: Ben Kingsley – Gandhi
- Best Actress: Meryl Streep – Sophie’s Choice
Top Television Shows:
- The “A” Team, Cagney And Lacey, Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crest, Hotel, Kate And Allie, Magnum P.I., Simon And Simon, 60 Minutes
Learn more about 1983 on Wikipedia. Thank you for visiting our page – wedding songs of 1983.