Do you plan to include 80’s music at your wedding? 1984 was one of the hottest of the decade for the emotional love songs that defined the era. Steve Perry, Wham!, and Madonna were just a few of the artists that delivered the best 1984 wedding songs. Here’s a 1984 wedding song collection that is a must for your wedding day playlist.
Best Wedding Songs of 1984
Stuck on You – Lionel Richie
Wrapped Around Your Finger – The Police
The Police released this chart-topper in the U.S. during January of 1984, and it served as a great introduction to what would become the hottest year ever for pop music. It sums up how you are your partner are connected, and it is a great reception dance tune.
I Can Dream About You – Dan Hartman
Dan Hartman only had a few hits, but this smash from the film Streets of Fire was arguably the biggest. It is a good song for wedding dances even if the uptempo vibe might be too much for the actual ceremony.
Head Over Heels – The Go-Go’s
The Go-Go’s were all about the fun vibe of the ’80s, and this hit from the all-girl band expresses how true love can make you feel. Play it for your wedding guests and be reminded of those first days when meeting your partner turned the world upside down.
Easy Lover – Philip Bailey (Earth, Wind, & Fire) and Phil Collins (Genesis)
Philip Bailey and Phil Collins combine their vocal talents on this lively rocker that was co-written by Bailey and Collins with the help of Eric Clapton bassist Nathan East. Try it as a spotlight dance for you and your spouse, and let the love you share come easy.
Dancing in the Dark – Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen‘s career took a major boost upward in 1984 with a collection of hits that includes this catchy pop tune. Its trademark hook is one everyone knows and can dance to when you include it in your wedding festivities.
Solid – Ashford & Simpson
Ashford & Simpson are one of the most prolific songwriting teams in R&B history, and they had a huge crossover hit with “Solid” in 1984. Few songs do a better job of expressing the rock-solid commitment that two partners make on their wedding day.
Take on Me – A-ha
The Norwegian pop sensations A-ha delivered what became an icon of 80’s music with this sing-a-long classic. Even the guests at your wedding who weren’t huge 80’s music fans will recognize this one.
Purple Rain – Prince
What can be said about Prince‘s career-defining song that hasn’t already been said? Imagine this song being played at your wedding after you are introduced as husband and wife for the very first time.
Time After Time – Cyndi Lauper
Cyndi Lauper’s voice never sounded better than it does on this tender ballad that everyone can relate to. You can play this right before you take your vows as the primary song for your wedding ceremony, and the happy tears are sure to flow.
When We Make Love – Alabama
Nobody Loves Me Like You Do – Anne Murray
Anne Murray and Dave Loggins made this sweet duet one remember, and it was later covered by Whitney Houston and Jermaine Jackson for Houston’s debut album. This song is a perfect one to play as the wedding party takes their places before the bride makes her grand entrance.
Hello – Lionel Richie
Many wedding couples have chosen this Lionel Richie hit for their wedding music selections, and with good reason. There is a simplicity to the lyrics that places a focus on the basics of loving one another for a lifetime.
I Just Called to Say I Love You – Stevie Wonder
Stevie Wonder counts down the months of the year and describes all the ways that life would be less special without your chosen partner. The song is a reminder that every day is an opportunity to express how much you love one another, and there will surely be many days ahead for you both.
Oh Sherrie – Steve Perry
Got a Hold on Me – Christine McVie
Christine McVie is often overlooked as a signature voice of Fleetwood Mac in favor of Stevie Nicks, but this song showcases her talent as a singer and songwriter. It’s a melody about becoming your best with the help of a partner.
Just a Little Love – Reba McEntire
Aren’t you happy that your chosen one brings a sense of stability and peace to your life? Reba McEntire sings about that feeling in this hit, a great choice for your primary wedding song.
My Only Love – The Statler Brothers
This song by the Statler Brothers is so perfect for weddings that the song’s video is about a beautiful ceremony like the one you will have today. Few songs have been eternally identified as wedding ballads, and this is one of them.
The Best Year of My Life – Eddie Rabbitt
Every groom should choose this song for his bride as a special wedding ceremony dedication. The smooth vocals of Eddie Rabbitt fit perfectly with the solemn moment that precedes the taking of your wedding vows.
She’s My Rock – George Jones
Country artist George Jones knew a thing or two about how a good woman completes a man. He makes it plain as day how important the bride is with this country music classic.
I Love Only You – Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Picking a wedding song for that first dance can be difficult, but this one is perfect in both its lyrics and music. The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band was known for a pop-country style that just makes you feel good.
Someone Is Falling in Love – Kathy Mattea
Today, you are celebrating falling in love with a person that completed your soul. Kathy Mattea speaks of how glorious it is to fall in love and honor that love with a band of beautiful gold.
Like a Virgin – Madonna
This song was Madonna‘s true breakthrough hit, and it was released on Halloween in 1984. Despite the title, the lyrics aren’t too racy for inclusion in your wedding festivities as a reception dance jam.
Listen to our best 1984 wedding songs playlist on Spotify.
The ’80s produced many great hits perfect for weddings. If you have a favorite 1984 wedding song not on our list, be sure to comment it below so that others can see it too.
If you like this sone list, be sure to check out our list of the best 100 1980s wedding songs. You can also enjoy other ’80s wedding songs in our series – wedding songs of 1980, 1981 wedding songs, 1982 wedding songs, and 1983 wedding songs.
Celebrating wedding songs of 1984. Where were you and what was happening?
If you were one of the weddings in 1984…
Congratulations on your wedding of 1984. You share your anniversary with the following events.
Celebrity Weddings of 1984
- Damon Wayans married Lisa Thorner
- Katharine Ross married Sam Elliott
- Rick Springfield married Barbara Porter
- Nastassja Kinski married Ibrahim Moussa
- Toby Keith married Tricia Covel
News Highlights of 1984
- The Winter Olympics take place in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia, making the first time they are held in a Communist country.
- The Soviets boycott the Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.
- The average price of a new single-family home surpasses $100,000.
- The Motion Picture Association Of America introduces the PG-13 rating for movies.
- Walter Mondale selects Geraldine Ferraro his vice-presidential nominee, the first woman to be named to a major-party ticket.
- President Reagan is re-elected by a landslide, carrying 49 of the 50 states.
1984 Sports Champions:
- The Detroit Tigers win the World Series over the San Diego Padres.
- Super Bowl XVIII – Los Angeles Raiders won 38-9 over the Washington Redskins.
- The Boston Celtics win the NBA Title over the Los Angeles Lakers.
- The Edmonton Oilers win the Stanley Cup over the New York Islanders.
Music Highlights of 1984
- Grammy’s Song of 1984: What’s Love Got To Do With It – Tina Turner
- Phil Collins – Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)
- Billy Ocean – Caribbean Queen (No More Love On The Run)
- Kenny Loggins – Footloose
- Ray Parker Jr. – Ghostbusters
- Stevie Wonder – I Just Called To Say I Love You
- Van Halen – Jump
- Culture Club – Karma Chameleon
- Wham! – Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
- Foreigner – I Want To Know What Love Is
- Prince – When Doves Cry
- Lionel Richie – Hello
- Deniece Williams – Let’s Hear It For The Boy
- Duran Duran – The Reflex
- Cyndi Lauper – Time After Time
- John Waite – Missing You
- Prince & The Revolution – Let’s Go Crazy
- Hall & Oates – Out Of Touch
- Prince & The Revolution – Purple Rain
- Madonna – Like A Virgin
- Wham! – Careless Whisper
Entertainment Highlights of 1984
- Best Picture: Terms of Endearment: James L. Brooks
- Best Actor: Robert Duvall – Tender Mercies
- Best Actress: Shirley MacLaine – Terms of Endearment
Top Television Shows:
- The “A” Team, The Cosby Show, Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crest, Family Ties, Knots Landing, Murder, She Wrote, Simon And Simon, 60 Minutes
Learn more about 1984 on Wikipedia. Thank you for visiting our page – wedding songs of 1984.