The art of DJing has exploded over the years. Now, it’s rare to turn on the radio without hearing the latest hit single or trending remix.
These musicians expand their reach across the globe. Their prowess extends past underground channels into becoming mainstream DJs while continuing to rise. Be sure to check out the DJ hit songs too!
Celebrate Disc Jockey Day each year on January 20. Our list below brings recognition to disc jockeys that master their craft.
The following list is just a glimpse at some of the more popular DJs on the music scene right now.
DJs & DJ Hit Songs
If you want to see a current list of the hottest DJs right now, see DJ Mag’s Top 100 DJs list.
Born Pierre David Guetta, the French native is a house music DJ, songwriter, record producer, and remixer. In the 1980s, he first kicked off his DJ career at the Broad Club in Paris, and by 1988, he hosted his own club nights. Since then, Guetta has had a hand in several hit songs with numerous artists.
Guetta has been nominated for six Grammy Awards and has won two, and nominated for three NRJ Music Awards and took home one. He has also been up for 17 DJ Awards and won three.
Popular David Guetta songs to know:
- Titanium – with Sia
- Hey Mama – with Nicki Minaj, Bebe Rexha, Afrojack
- Play Hard – with Ne-Yo, Akon
- Say My Name – with Bebe Rexha, J Balvin
- I’m Good (Blue) – with Bebe Rexha
Tijs Michiel Verwest, better known by his stage name Tiësto, is a Dutch DJ and record producer. He has been lauded as the “Godfather of EDM”. His interest in music began at the age of 12. By the time he was 14, he started DJing professionally. Tiësto continues to be more than a DJ; rather, he’s a brand. His name is spoken widely in EDM genre circles.
Tiësto has been nominated for two Grammys and won one. Additionally, he’s been up for 59 various awards and is the first DJ to hold DJ Magazine’s title of “No. 1 DJ in the World” for three consecutive years.
Popular Tiësto songs to know:
- Don’t Be Shy – with Karol G
- The Business
- Red Lights
- Ritual – with Jonah Blue, Rita Ora
- Jackie Chan – with Dzeko, Preme, Post Malone
Calvin Harris (born Adam Richard Wiles) is a Scottish DJ, record producer, singer, and songwriter. He first gravitated toward electronic music in his teenage years. By 1999, he recorded bedroom demos. At age 18, he released two singles and eventually moved to London to further pursue his music career.
Harris has been nominated for four Grammy Awards and took home one, and nominated for 10 Brit Awards. Harris has also won and was nominated for dozens of other music awards around the world.
Popular Calvin Harris songs to know:
- This is What You Came For – with Rihanna
- How Deep Is Your Love – with Disciples
- One Kiss – with Dua Lipa
- Blame – with John Newman
Nick van de Wall, aka Afrojack, is a Dutch DJ, remixer, and record producer. He started off playing piano at the age of 5, and once he was 14, he began DJing at clubs and local pubs. Afrojack has several producing, remixing, and songwriting credits. He’s worked alongside fellow DJs such as David Guetta for the hit “Hey Mama” featuring Nicki Minaj and Bebe Rexha.
He’s regularly featured in the top 10 of DJ Mag’s Top 100 DJs. He made the No. 7 spot in 2011, and he ranked No. 9 in 2012 and 2013.
Popular Afrojack songs to know:
- Ten Feet Tall – with Wrabel
- The Spark – with Spree Wilson
- Another Life – with David Guetta, Ester Dean
- Do Or Die (Remix) – with Thirty Seconds To Mars
- As Your Friend – with Chris Brown
Steven Hiroyuki Aoki is an American electro-house DJ, record producer, and music executive. During his college years at the University of California, he ran underground concerts and produced do-it-yourself records from his Biko room in the Santa Barbara Student Housing Cooperative. His apartment was known as The Pickle Patch, and by the time he was in his early 20s, he built his own record label, Dim Mak.
Aoki has received a number of awards, nominations, and recognitions throughout his career. He was nominated for his first Grammy in 2012. In 2014, he received two Guinness World Records.
Popular Steve Aoki songs to know:
- Mi Gente (Steve Aoki Remix) – J Balvin & Willy William
- Delirious (Boneless) – with Chris Lake, Tujamo, Kid Ink
- Pursuit Of Happiness (Steve Aoki Remix) – with Kid Cudi
- Freak – with Diplo, Deorro, Steve Bays
- The Last Bella Ciao – with Della
Avicii (real name Tim Bergling) is a Swedish musician, DJ, record producer, and remixer. He signed a record deal in 2007, but it was not until 2011 that his work became a part of mainstream culture. In the summer of 2016, he announced his retirement from touring, yet assured fans he would continue to create music.
He has been nominated for two Grammy Awards, and he took home two World Music Awards after being nominated for eight.
Popular Avicii songs to know:
- Wake Me Up
- Waiting For Love
- The Nights
- Hey Brother – with Aloe Blacc
Anton Zaslavski, stage name Zedd, is a Russian-born German DJ, record producer, and musician. Born to two musicians, he is classically trained and began playing piano at 4 and drums at 12. He started producing electronic music in 2009.
He has been nominated and has won several awards such as his first Grammy in 2014 and an MTV Video Music Award for his hit “Stay the Night“.
Popular Zedd songs to know:
- Stay – with Alessia Cara
- Clarity – with Foxes
- Stay The Night – with Hayley Williams
- I Want You To Know – with Selena Gomez
- Beautiful now – with Jon Bellion
Songs to Know:
- In The Name Of Love – with Bebe Rexha
- Scare To Me Lonely – with Dua Lipa
- There For You – with Troye Sivan
- Ocean – with Khalid
- High On Life – with Bonn
Songs to Know:
- All Around The World (La La La) – with A Touch Of Class
- Lullaby – with Mike Williams
- Plakala (R3HAB Remix) – with KAZKA
- Rumors – with Sofia Carson
- Up All Night – with MOTi, Fiora
Songs to Know:
- The Spectre
- Sing Me To Sleep
- Darkside – with Au/Ra, Tomine Harket
These DJs are only a few of the lauded musicians who are making waves in the music world today. Artists such as these defy all genre boundaries and create lively, emotional, and energetic sounds to entertain the masses.
Do you have a favorite DJ? Please share below in the comments!