Top 1974 Wedding Songs for I Can’t Get Enough of Your Love
There is something for everyone on this list of the best 1974 wedding songs.
From Barry White to Elton John and Barbara Streisand, the legends of pop and country music are at their best. 1974 remains one of the top years for enduring wedding classics.
Spotify Playlist Wedding Songs of 1974
Best 1974 Wedding Songs
Can’t Get Enough of Your Love, Babe – Barry White
July 1974, Can’t Get Enough
Barry White was the definitive soul voice of the era, and his biggest hit is still in high demand for wedding receptions today. There is simply no better song for the first dance with your new spouse than this crowd-pleaser which will put a smile on everyone’s face.
My darling I, can’t get enough of your love babe
Girl, I don’t know, I don’t know why
I can’t get enough of your love babe
Annie’s Song – John Denver
June 1974, Back Home Again
This song by John Denver is a poignant and moving tribute to love, and it should be considered by couples that want to preserve the sentimentality of a wedding ceremony. “Annie’s Song” has been used for everything from the wedding processional to the send-off, and it can even provide a beautiful accompaniment for the bride’s grand entrance.
Let me lay down beside you
Let me always be with you
Come, let me love you
I Honestly Love You – Olivia Newton-John
August 1974, If You Love Me, Let Me Know
When it comes to your wedding don’t forget to include some simple declarations of devotion like this song by Olivia Newton-John, a hit for the Australian songbird in 1974. Many couples like songs with simple lyrics for their wedding because everyone can grasp and appreciate the meaning.
Maybe it was better left unsaid
But this is pure and simple and you must realize
That it’s coming from my heart and not my head
I love you
I honestly love you
Love’s Theme – Love Unlimited Orchestra
November 1973 carry-over, Rhapsody in White
This song from The Love Unlimited Orchestra was produced by soul singer Barry White, so there is no doubt that it hits all the right notes for modern wedding celebrations. It is a good idea to use this song as the most important guests at your wedding are being ushered to their seats.
I know that the melody that made him mine
Will be the melody that keeps him close to me
Everlasting Love – Carl Carlton
July 1974, Everlasting Love
Carl Carlton only scored a few hits in the 1970s, but this one from 1974 has endured in popularity among newlyweds. Your spouse will appreciate this song as a nice surprise dedication, and you can also use it as the wedding cake is being cut.
Need you by my side
Girl, to be my bride
You’ll never be denied
Best of My Love – The Eagles
November 1974, On the Border
The smooth harmonies of The Eagles are always welcome at wedding ceremonies, and the lead vocals of Don Henley on this smash hit are filled with emotion. This is the wedding song that should be used to introduce the newlyweds to their guests for the very first time.
That same old crowd was like a cold dark cloud
That we could never rise above
But here in my heart
I give you the best of my love
My Melody of Love – Bobby Vinton
September 1974, Melodies of Love
Bobby Vinton is best remembered for his lounge tunes that evoke the sounds of Las Vegas, and those who prefer classic sounds will find that this ballad is perfect for your wedding day. It is a song that is best reserved for the more formal parts of a wedding ceremony, but it also makes a fine addition to the reception playlist.
Love you with all my heart
Return and always be
My melody of love
Stop and Smell the Roses – Mac Davis
August 1974, Stop and Smell the Roses
Newlyweds should take every opportunity to enjoy the splendor of their wedding day, and this song is a reminder to savor the special moments in life. Mac Davis made it a massive hit in 1974, and the song is still played today at many modern wedding festivities.
You got to stop and smell the roses
You’ve got to count your many blessings everyday
I’ll Have to Say I Love You in a Song – Jim Croce
March 1974, I Got a Name
The Philadelphia-born Jim Croce had a brief but stellar career before he died in a Louisiana plane crash, and this song is arguably his most popular ballad. The song expresses how hard it is to communicate love with mere words, and it can stress the overall importance of the music choices you make at your wedding.
Every time I tried to tell you
The words just came out wrong
So I’ll have to say I love you in a song
See a list of songs from the prior year with the popular 1973 wedding songs.
I Will Always Love You – Dolly Parton
March 1974, Jolene
Dolly Parton’s song of love was originally written for Porter Waggoner, and it could be too poignant for the tastes of some couples. Still, this version and the cover that was later recorded by Whitney Houston remain at the top of the list when it comes to the best wedding songs.
And I wish you happiness
But above all this
I wish you love
And I love you will always love you
We Should Be Together – Don Williams
January 1974, Don Williams Volume Two
Those newlyweds who have roots that are ingrained with country music will find this Don Williams song a nice choice for dancing at the wedding reception. It has also been used to announce the new couple and also as an interlude for lighting a unity candle at the altar.
We should be together, together
We should be walking side by side
We should be together, together
Keeping each other satisfied
A Love Song – Anne Murray
February 1974, Love Song
The Canadian songstress Anne Murray was all over the charts in 1974 with this beautiful romantic ballad, a song that pares down all the emotions of love into sentimental images. A bride may find that this is a good song to dedicate to her new husband on her wedding day.
Show the trail of my love and I
Sing to you,
Love is what I bring to you
The Way We Were – Barbra Streisand
January 1974, The Way We Were
Barbra Streisand has the type of voice that is very suitable for wedding selections, and this was one of her biggest mainstream hits. It may evoke feelings of love lost for some people, but newlyweds still like how it makes them feel when it is played as part of the wedding processional.
So it’s the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember
The way we were
Always Yours – Gary Glitter
1974, Released as a single
If you like the sounds of 1970s glam rock, this Gary Glitter tune will fit right in at your wedding reception. Try to use it in a way that allows everyone in attendance to participate by dancing with their own special one.
Please don’t cry if I pass you by
Cause I’m always, always yours
Mockingbird – Carly Simon and James Taylor
January 1974, Hotcakes
Putting Carly Simon and James Taylor together on this modern rendition of an ageless classic was a stroke of genius, and the song has made appearances in popular films like Vacation. The fun-loving nature of the song will inspire merriment when your DJ plays it at the wedding reception, and some couples even do it as a karaoke duet.
Listen now and understand
She’s gonna find me some piece of mind
Yeah if that piece of mind won’t stay
I’m gonna get myself a better way
Don’t You Worry ’bout a Thing – Stevie Wonder
March 974, Innervisions
Confidence, trust, and a sense of protection are things all blushing brides want to feel at their wedding, and Stevie Wonder expresses them all in this soulful tune. A groom can make his bride feel special when he has the song played for the couple’s first dance.
Don’t you worry ’bout a thing, baby
‘Cause I’ll be standing on the side
When you check it out
I’m in Love – Aretha Franklin
1974, Let Me in Your Life
There are some songs that are meant to be a personal expression of devotion between couples, and this Aretha Franklin single from 1974 is an intimate portrayal of the emotions newlyweds feel. It can make a great alternative wedding recessional, or it can play in the background as couples cut the cake.
And I’m so glad
That it’s me who had to change
I’m sprouting? and blooming?
Like the last summer rose
I’m in love
You Make Me Feel Brand New – The Stylistics
May 1974, Rockin’ Roll Baby
The Stylistics understood that true love makes you feel like nothing else, and you can use this song as a part of your wedding playlist to let your new spouse know how important they are to you. Like all the classics from this group, the uptempo song is best saved for dancing.
Believe in me through thick and thin
This song is for you
Filled with gratitude and love
Next, see a list of the best 1975 wedding songs.
Celebrating weddings of 1974. Where were you and what was happening?
If you were one of the weddings in 1974
Congratulations on your wedding of 1974. You share your anniversary with the following events.
Celebrity Weddings of 1974
- Sasha Czack wed Sylvester Stallone
- Quincy Jones married Peggy Lipton
- Alex Trebek wed Elaine Callie
- Frankie Valli married Maryann Hannigan
- Robert Vaughn wed Linda Staab
News Highlights of 1974
- Patty Hearst is abducted by the so-called Symbionese Liberation Army and held for ransom. Later, she is caught helping rob a bank and sent to jail.
- People magazine debuts with Mia Farrow on the cover and launches the era of celebrity journalism.
- Henry “Hank” Aaron hits his 715 home run, breaking Babe Ruth’s record.
- Streaking – running naked in public – becomes a fad.
- President Nixon resigns after facing impeachment over his role in the Watergate affair. He is succeeded by Vice President Ford, who pardons Nixon.
- The use of telephone answering machines becomes popular.
1974 Sports Champions
- The Oakland A’s won the World Series over the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Super Bowl VIII – Miami Dolphins won 24-7 over the Minnesota Vikings.
- The Boston Celtics win the NBA Title over the Milwaukee Bucks.
- Philadelphia Flyers win the Stanley Cup over the Boston Bruins.
Music Highlights of 1974
- Grammy’s Song of 1974: The Way We Were – Barbara Streisand
- Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods – Billy, Don’t Be A Hero
- Billy Swan – I Can Help
- Olivia Newton-John – I Honestly Love You
- Grand Funk – The Loco-Motion
- Terry Jacks – Seasons In The Sun
- Ray Stevens – The Streak
- MFSB – TSOP
- Paul Anka – The Way We Were
- Barry White – Can’t Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe
- Elton John – Bennie And The Jets
- Blue Swede – Hooked On A Feeling
- John Denver – Sunshine On My Shoulders
- Paul McCartney & Wings – Band On The Run
- Gordon Lightfoot – Sundown
- The Hues Corporation – Rock The Boat
- John Denver – Annie’s Song
- Roberta Flack – Feel Like Makin’ Love
- Paper Lace – The Night Chicago Died
- Andy Kim – Rock Me Gently
- George McCrae – Rock Your Baby
- Eric Clapton – I Shot The Sheriff
- Billy Preston – Nothing From Nothing
- Paul Anka – (You’re) Having My Baby
- Dionne Warwick & The Spinners – Then Came You
- Stevie Wonder – You Haven’t Done Nothin’
- Bachman-Turner Overdrive – You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet
- Helen Reddy – Angie Baby
- Harry Chapin – Cat’s In The Cradle
- Carl Douglas – Kung Fu Fighting
- Elton John – Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
- Barry Manilow – Mandy
- The Carpenters – Please Mr. Postman
- The Eagles – Best Of My Love
- The Doobie Brothers – Black Water
- Ohio Players – Fire
- Frankie Valli – My Eyes Adored You
- The Average White Band – Pick Up The Pieces
- Linda Ronstadt – You’re No Good
Entertainment Highlights of 1974
- Best Picture: The Sting: Tony Bill, Michael Phillips, Julia Phillips
- Best Actor: Jack Lemmon – Save the Tiger
- Best Actress: Glenda Jackson – A Touch of Class
Top Television Shows
- All In The Family, Chico And The Man, Good Times, Hawaii Five-O, The Jeffersons, M*A*S*H, Maude, Rhoda, Sanford & Son, The Waltons
Learn more about 1974 on Wikipedia. Thank you for visiting our page – weddings of 1974.
Have a favorite wedding song from 1974? Please share your favorite below in the comments.