In all reality, what the groom wears really depends upon the theme of the wedding. If the wedding is at an upscale five-star heel, then a tuxedo would be the most appropriate attire. However, if the wedding is a relaxed beach wedding, then sandals with dress pants and shirt would be most appropriate for the wedding day. Although the decision may be made by the bride as to the wedding theme, the groom still has a very important decision as to what to wear.
What A Groom Should Wear
A groom’s attire can be broken down into four categories: Very Formal, Formal, Semiformal, and Informal. As mentioned above, the wedding theme will have the greatest influence as to the choice of attire. However, the time of day of the wedding is also another big influencer. Lastly, the wedding colors will also have a determination into what the groom wears on his wedding day.
Very Formal – Very formal weddings are typically morning or late evening weddings. The groom would wear a complete tuxedo including vest, white bow tie and tails, and shirt with striped trousers. The very formal wear is also commonly accompanied with a top hat, walking stick, and gloves.
Formal – Fitting for a “black tie” event for the groom and groomsmen. The attire can be either a black tie or bow tie. The tuxedo also includes a vest or cummerbund. Rented formalwear can include the following: jacket, vest or cummerbund, pants, suspenders, shirt, cufflinks, tie, studs, and shoes.
SemiFormal – This is where a bit of personal taste and fashion meld into the formal arena. Color can be infused into the formal style in the tie, cummerbund, vest, and also the shoes. The groom can also add fashionable suspenders accent to the outfit. Current fashions include colorful jackets and pants to add a personal groom’s flair to the wedding.
Informal – Informal can start the chart on the high end with a suit. Dark suits are preferred in the black, gray, and navy spectrums. A great tip is the material should match the season – flannel in winter and cotton in summer. Blazers can also be worn with jeans.
Points to know about Groom’s attire:
- The colors selected for the groom and groomsmen should match
- All attire should complement the bridesmaids’ dresses
- Formal wear should be rented a minimum of three months in advance and measurements at least three weeks in advance
- Cufflinks make for a fantastic accessory present for the groom
- Be sure arrangements are made to return rented attire the day after the wedding as to not incur extra rental fees PER DAY
- Shirt and jacket sleeves should end at the wrist bone
- Cummerbunds should be worn pleats up
- Shirts should fit snug around the neck
Other Groom articles:
- 28 Processional Songs For Grooms
- 25 Groom Dedication Songs To His New Life Partner
- 10 Ultimate Manly Websites For Grooms