2005 was a wonderful year for love songs, featuring contributions from George Strait, Patti LaBelle, and Rob Thomas. This list of 2005 wedding songs features choices for your formal ceremony and the reception, and it includes a mix of soft ballads and dance tunes.
Wedding Songs of 2005
Inside Your Heaven – Carrie Underwood
This song was the debut single from American Idol winner Carrie Underwood, and it heralded the beginning of an amazing career that continues today. The song is a straightforward ballad that draws on themes of forever love, and it can easily be added to a modern wedding processional.
You And Me – Lifehouse
Those couples who like an alternative rock will want to add this song from Lifehouse to their wedding day playlist. It is an uptempo number that is best saved for dancing the night away, and the song is one that encourages everyone to get on their feet and join in the celebration.
I’ll Stand by You – Patti LaBelle
2005, Classic Moments
This Pretenders hit was covered by legendary songstress Patti LaBelle on her 2005 album Classic Moments, and it has since become a wedding day favorite. This is a song that can be played for the bride before she makes her entrance, and it has also been used to set the stage for the lighting of a unity candle.
Lonely No More – Rob Thomas
Rob Thomas moved beyond his stint as the lead vocalist of Matchbox 20 with this solo hit, and it features the soulful vocals that have defined Thomas’ career. Use it on your wedding day to remind you that your own lonely days are at an end, and consider using it for the first dance with your partner.
We Belong Together – Mariah Carey
Mariah Carey added this song to her vast catalog of love ballads, and it has passed the test of time by remaining popular long after its release. Every wedding couple needs a few songs that reinforce the notion of true love, and this one affirms that your union was meant to be.
A Song for You – Simply Red
“A Song for You” was written by Leon Russell and originally recorded by The Carpenters, but this Simply Red version from 2005 is chosen for modern weddings. The best wedding day songs are those which make simple declarations of love and commitment, and there is no better choice for a dance with your forever partner.
I Believe in You – Celine Dion and Il Divo
Celine Dion teamed up with the operatic artist’s Il Divo to create a memorable song that can be used as the centerpiece of an elegant wedding ceremony. The voices are perfect on this track, so be sure to use it as a part of the formal wedding processional.
A Real Fine Place to Start – Sara Evans
Songstress Sara Evans scored her fourth chart-topping Country hit with this song, and it appeals to couples that appreciate modern country music. Evans sings about how relationships give us the opportunity to start fresh and become the best version of ourselves.
You’ll Be There – George Strait
There is a rich sentimentality to this song from George Strait that makes it suitable for the most emotional portions of a wedding ceremony. It has a theme of love that endures beyond this present reality, and it can even be used for that special father-daughter dance at the wedding reception.
You’re Like Coming Home – Lonestar
True love is one that puts you completely at ease, and that is what this song from Lonestar makes clear with its heartfelt lyrics. Consider using it as a non-traditional recessional, or you can add it to the list of songs that play as your wedding guests arrive.
Take Me as I Am – Mary J. Blige
Mary J. Blige has one of the strongest voices in modern R&B, and it comes as no surprise that this song from 2005 is chosen by brides for their wedding. It is a versatile tune that has been used for processionals, first dances, and special wedding day dedications.
Beautiful Love – The Afters
The Afters were an alternative Christian band that released this song to great acclaim in 2005, and it has gone on to become a staple of spiritual-based wedding ceremonies. It reflects that the purest form of love is one shared by couples that have a strong dedication to their religious faith.
Never Far Behind – Aly and AJ
Aly and AJ chose to make this love song a single from their 2005 album Into the Rush, and it draws on spiritual themes that some couples will find important on your wedding day. There is a message here that celebrates the commitment of partners to walk through the world hand-in-hand as they face the challenges of life together.
Follow Through – Gavin DeGraw
Gavin DeGraw followed up his massive debut with this piano ballad that can be used in many different ways on your wedding day. It has a lively melody that most couples will want to reserve for dancing at the reception, but adventurous couples might also want to use it in the recessional.
I Melt with You – Bowling for Soup
This classic Modern English hit was covered by Bowling for Soup in 2005 for the film Sky High, and it will suit newlyweds that have an affinity for geek culture. It can be played at the wedding reception as a first dance, and it also makes for a nice send-off song when the wedding day is complete.
You’re Beautiful – James Blunt
This song was a debut single for pop singer James Blunt, and it has gone on to become a lasting selection for modern weddings. There is no better way to use the song than as a special dedication from the groom to his lovely bride, and some grooms even sing it themselves.
Sometimes You Can’t Make It on Your Own – U2
Rock legends U2 released this song in 2005 as a tribute to lead singer Bono’s father, and some brides like to use it in their wedding as a father-daughter dance. It has deeply emotional lyrics that will bring tears to the eyes of wedding guests, and it reflects the importance of family support on your wedding day.
Breathe In – Lucie Silvas
Lucie Silvas scored a big hit in the UK with this 2005 song, and it speaks of the need for couples to savor the special moments in their relationship. The song can be used as a first dance between the newlyweds, and it also makes a nice interlude as guests are being seated.
Listen to our best 2005 wedding songs playlist on Spotify.
Our list was just a few of our favorite 2005 wedding songs. If you have a 2005 wedding song not on our list, be sure to comment on it below. Also, check out our list of wedding songs by year and the best 2000s wedding songs.
Celebrating wedding songs of 2005. Where were you and what was happening?
If you were one of the weddings in 2005…
Congratulations on your wedding of 2005. You share your anniversary with the following events.
Celebrity Weddings of 2005
- Sean Murray wed Carrie James
- Julian Casablancas married Juliet Joslin
- Brandon Flowers married Tana Munblowsky
- Ben Affleck wed Jennifer Garner
- Ashton Kutcher wed Demi Moore
News Highlights of 2005
- The National Hockey League cancels its 2004-2005 season.
- Pope Benedict XVI succeeds Pope John Paul II, becoming the 265th pope.
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith is released and breaks the opening-day box-office record.
- WCBS-FM in New York City abruptly drops its oldies format to become Jack FM.
- Lance Armstrong wins a record 7th straight Tours de France before his scheduled retirement.
- The Space Shuttle Discovery is launched on its “Return To Flight” mission.
- Hurricane Katrina strikes coastal areas from Louisiana to Alabama, and travels up the entire state of Mississippi, affecting most of eastern North America.
- The wedding of Christina Aguilera and Jordan Bratman
2005 Sports Champions:
- The Chicago White Sox win the World Series.
- Super Bowl XXXIX – New England Patriots 24-21 Philadelphia Eagles.
- The San Antonio Spurs win the NBA Title.
- The 2004-05 NHL season was canceled by league commissioner Gary Bettman.
Music Highlights of 2005
- Grammy’s Song of 2005: Daughters – John Mayer
- Akon – Lonely
- 50 Cent – Candy Shop
- Bowling For Soup – Almost
- Mariah Carey – We Belong Together
- Kelly Clarkson – Because Of You
- Lifehouse – You And Me
- Pussycat Dolls – Don’t Cha
- Kelly Clarkson – Behind These Hazel Eyes
- Green Day – Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
- Rihanna – Pon De Replay
- Alicia Keys – Karma
- Chris Brown – Run It
- Mario – Let Me Love You
- Gwen Stefani – Hollaback Girl
- Mariah Carey – Shake It Off
- Ciara – 1, 2 Step
- Nickelback – Photograph
- Usher – Caught Up
- Kanye West – Gold Digger
- 3 Doors Down – Let Me Go
- Will Smith – Switch
- Black Eyed Peas – My Humps
- Rob Thomas – Lonely No More
- Papa Roach – Scars
- Natasha Bedingfield – These Words
- Green Day – Wake Me Up When September Ends
- Howie Day – Collide
- Maroon 5 – Sunday Morning
Entertainment Highlights of 2005
- Best Picture: Million Dollar Baby: Clint Eastwood, Albert S. Ruddy, Tom Rosenberg
- Best Actor: Jamie Foxx – Ray
- Best Actress: Hilary Swank – Million Dollar Baby
Top Television Shows:
- American Idol, Dancing With The Stars, C.S.I., Grey’s Anatomy, Without A Trace, Survivor, Desperate Housewives, C.S.I. – Miami, House, Deal Or No Deal, NCIS, House
Learn more about 2005 on Wikipedia. Thank you for visiting our page – weddings of 2005.