1999 was a very good year for love songs, with offerings from Brian McKnight, Kenny Chesney, and other important artists of the decade. On this list of 1999 wedding songs, you’ll find appropriate selections for your ceremony, reception, and every other part of your magical day.
Best Wedding Songs of 1999
Amazed – Lonestar
March 1999, Lonely Grill
This song was a crossover smash for the country band Lonestar, and it has gone on to become one of the most popular 1999 wedding songs. It has the perfect tempo to be used during the processional of the bridal party, and some brides even choose it as an alternative to the standard wedding march because of its powerful lyrics.
Back At One – Brian McKnight
August 1999, Back at One
R&B star and guitarist Brian McKnight landed on multiple charts with this soft classic, a song that spells out all the ways a man loves his chosen one. As you might expect, grooms like to add this song to the wedding ceremony as something special for their bride.
Spend My Life with You – Eric Benét
June 1999, A Day in the Life
Eric Benét is not remembered as one of the major stars of the 90s, but he did manage to produce this song which describes all the sentiment you want to express at your wedding. Couples have found many creative ways to use the song, including as an interlude between the arrival of the bridal party and the entrance of the blushing bride.
I Knew I Loved You – Savage Garden
September 1999, Affirmation
Savage Garden nailed it with this song, and it became the group’s most enduring hit from the 90s. The song is all about the destiny that brings lovers together in spite of all odds, and dancing to it with your partner will create a memory that you’ll not soon forget.
Higher – Creed
August 1999, Human Clay
The band Creed drew on its Christian roots to produce this rock classic, and the vocals of Scott Stapp are a perfect match for Mark Tremonti’s guitar work. Even though the song has a heavy feel to it, it has still found its way into the wedding ceremonies of many modern couples because of its distinct lyrical message.
You Had Me From Hello – Kenny Chesney
April 1999, Everywhere We Go
Kenny Chesney can thank the film Jerry Maguire for inspiring this massive hit from 1999, and newlyweds agree that it is a perfect wedding song. Like all good wedding songs, this one hearkens back to those moments when you were first falling in love with your one and only.
How Forever Feels – Kenny Chesney
December 1998, Everywhere We Go
Another Kenny Chesney hit that couples might want to consider for their wedding reception is this uptempo number. It should be used as a dance tune, to be sure, but it is one that gets everyone involved in line dancing and sharing in your good fortune on your wedding day.
My Best Friend – Tim McGraw
October 1999, A Place in the Sun
Country superstar Tim McGraw knows a thing or two about a successful romantic relationship, and he surely was thinking about his wife Faith Hill when he released this song. It’s a song that lyrically sums up all the things that you and your new spouse should be to one another, so give it a place of honor at your wedding.
I Love You – Martina McBride
July 1999, Emotion
The beautiful voice of Martina McBride soars on this song which breaks down the emotions of your wedding day to the most important essentials. It’s the perfect song to say all the things to your new spouse that you have trouble finding the words for, and sometimes the simple songs are the best wedding choices.
Music of My Heart – Gloria Estefan
Se[ptember 1999, The Music of the Heart Soundtrack
Gloria Estefan and her band the Miami Sound Machine were legends of the 1990s, and this song blends the relationship between music and true love. Every wedding couple has a soundtrack that accompanied their love affair, and this tune was probably a part of that soundtrack for many lovers that grew up in the 90s.
Perfect Moment – Martine McCutcheon
April 1999, You Me & Us
This song from Martine McCutcheon is all about the perfect moment that you and your spouse will be creating on your wedding day, so don’t hesitate to use the song in your processional. It is a song that can also be used for a father-daughter dance at the reception or as the background music for the cutting of the wedding cake.
You Won’t Ever Be Lonely – Andy Griggs
April 1999, Andy Griggs
This was the biggest hit recorded by Andy Griggs, one of the most underrated musical artists of the 90s. Griggs weaves a tale of hope and promise in his poignant lyrics, and it is just the right song to play as the groom and bridal party are taking up their places at the altar.
Every Day I Love You – Boyzone
November 1999, By Request
Boyzone hits all the right notes in this pop classic from 1999, a song that still finds its way into wedding festivities today. Your DJ should include this on the list of reception dance music, and the song can also be used for your send-off when the time comes to depart for the honeymoon.
You Got Me – The Roots and Erykah Badu
January 1999, Things Fall Apart
Be sure to select some serious dance music for your wedding, and don’t forget to include this one from The Roots and Erykah Badu. The great thing about “You Got Me” is that it retains a nice message in its lyrics that is not overwhelmed by the dance groove.
The Book of Love – The Magnetic Fields
September 1999, 69 Love Songs
Listen to our best 1999 wedding songs playlist on Spotify.
Every song that you choose for your wedding should be meant to convey a message of love, one that you and your spouse have made a theme for your nuptials. This song from The Magnetic Fields is a great all-around choice when it comes to wedding reception music, and adventurous couples also find ways to incorporate it into the formal ceremony.
We hope you enjoyed a few of our favorite list of 1999 wedding songs. Have a song that should be on our list? Be sure to comment on it below. Also, check out our list of wedding songs by year and the best 1990s wedding songs.
Celebrating wedding songs of 1999. Where were you and what was happening?
If you were one of the weddings in 1999…
Congratulations on your wedding of 1999. You share your anniversary with the following events.
Celebrity Wedding of 1999
- Steve Burton wed Sheree Gustin
- David Beckham wed Victoria Beckham
- Duff McKagan wed Susan Holmes
- Reese Witherspoon wed Ryan Phillippe
- Courteney Cox wed David Arquette
News Highlights of 1999
- Y2K preparation was a major event in 1999.
- MySpace.com is officially introduced to the Internet, though MySpace-beta has been around since 1999.
- The Columbine High School massacre in Colorado.
- Napster debuts.
- The Woodstock 99 festival is held in New York.
- John Carpenter becomes the first top prize winner of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and breaks the record of the largest single win on a United States game show.
1999 Sports Champions:
- The New York Yankees win the World Series over the Atlanta Braves.
- Super Bowl XXXIII: The Denver Broncos win their second Super Bowl in a row, defeating the Atlanta Falcons 34-19.
- The San Antonio Spurs win the NBA Title over the New York Knicks.
- The Dallas Stars win the Stanley Cup over the Buffalo Sabres.
Music Highlights of 1999
- Grammy’s Song of 1999: My Heart Will Go On – Celine Dion
- Eric Benet – Spend My Life With You
- Mark Chesnutt – I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing
- 98 Degrees – I Do (Cherish You)
- Limp Bizkit – Nookie
- Sarah McLachlan – I Will Remember You
- Whitney Houston – My Love Is Your Love
- Juvenile – Back That Thang Up
- Shania Twain – Man! I Feel Like A Woman
- Len – Steal My Sunshine
- Marc Anthony – I Need To Know
- Brian McKnight – Back At One
- Kenny Chesney – How Forever Feels
- Lonestar – Amazed
- Britney Spears – Sometimes
- Cher – Believe
- TLC – No Scrubs
- Monica – Angel Of Mine
- Britney Spears – Baby One More Time
- Sixpence None The Richer – Kiss Me
- Christina Aguilera – Genie In A Bottle
- Sugar Ray – Every Morning
- Ricky Martin – Livin’ La Vida Loca
- 702 – Where My Girls At?
- Jennifer Lopez – If You Had My Love
- Goo Goo Dolls – Slide
- Brandy – Have You Ever?
- Backstreet Boys – I Want It That Way
- Smash Mouth – All-Star
- Sarah McLachlan – Angel
- Santana – Smooth
- Destiny’s Child – Bills, Bills, Bills
- Eagle-Eye Cherry – Save Tonight
- Pearl Jam – Last Kiss
- Backstreet Boys – All I Have To Give
- Enrique Iglesias – Bailamos
- Sugar Ray – Someday
- LFO – Summer Girls
- Jay-Z- Can I Get A…
- Lauryn Hill – Doo Wop (That Thing)
- Lou Bega – Mambo No. 5
- ‘N Sync – God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You
- Shawn Mullins – Lullaby
- Will Smith – Miami
- Tim McGraw – Please Remember Me
- Shania Twain – From This Moment On
Entertainment Highlights of 1999
- Best Picture: Shakespeare in Love: David Parfitt, Donna Gigliotti, Harvey Weinstein, Edward Zwick, Marc Norman
- Best Actor: Roberto Benigni – La vita è Bella
- Best Actress: Gwyneth Paltrow – Shakespeare in Love
Top Television Shows:
- Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?, ER, Friends, Monday Night Football, Frasier, 60 Minutes, The Practice, Touched By An Angel, Law and Order, Everybody Loves Raymond, Jesse
Learn more about 1999 on Wikipedia. Thank you for visiting our page – weddings of 1999.