There was a subtle shift in the nature of 1994’s most popular love ballads. Luther Vandross, Elton John, and Vanessa Williams all focused on simple declarations of love and commitment in their hits. Here’s a list of 1994 wedding songs that will help you create a memorable ceremony.
Best Wedding Songs of 1994
I Swear – All-4-One
This sweet love ballad was originally recorded by country artist John Michael Montgomery, but it took the smooth harmonies of All-4-One to make it a mainstream hit. Many couples use this song as a focal point of their wedding ceremony because the lyrics are so reminiscent of traditional wedding vows.
Endless Love – Luther Vandross and Mariah Carey
Luther Vandross teamed with Mariah Carey to remake this classic from the 80s. This version is a great fit for modern wedding processionals, and it is often played just prior to the bride’s dramatic wedding entrance.
Can You Feel the Love Tonight? – Sir Elton John
Sir Elton John contributed two songs to The Lion King soundtrack, and this one is often chosen by couples for wedding ceremonies. The song has been used in everything from the wedding processional to the introduction of the new couple at the wedding reception.
Now and Forever – Richard Marx
Richard Marx recorded some of the most memorable love songs of the 90s, and this is one that expresses sentiments that are appropriate for your wedding. It is a song of promise and devotion, one that can be played just before you light your wedding day unity candles.
No Doubt About It – Neal McCoy
Neal McCoy broke through with this single from his 1994 album of the same name, and it is still a favorite of wedding couples today. Most couples like to use this song for a first dance at their wedding reception, but it has also been played while the cake is cut and also as a reception dance tune.
Whenever You Come Around – Vince Gill
Few voices in music are as smooth and beautiful as the one belonging to country artist Vince Gill, a performer who topped the charts in 1994 with this crossover hit. The song is a joyous celebration of the feelings that accompany true love, and many couples play it as the guests at their wedding are being seated.
Kiss From a Rose – Seal
There is always a need for slow, romantic additions to the wedding reception playlist, and this song from Seal is often used in that context. It has a lyrical message that is appreciated by modern couples, and the melody of the song is slow and gentle.
The Sweetest Days – Vanessa Williams
Many people would argue that Vanessa Williams was one of the most underrated musical artists of the 90s, and her performance on this love ballad would validate that claim. It has a poignant vibe that reflects the sweetest emotions that a girl can feel on her wedding day, and you will find it to be a perfect choice for that first dance with your one and only.
Everyday – Phil Collins
Every day is one of the most overlooked songs in the vast musical catalog of Phil Collins, the former frontman for Genesis. Collins weaves a beautiful narrative in this song about the meaningful nature of love, and it should be given an important place on your wedding reception playlist.
I’ll Stand by You – Pretenders
This song is most often remembered as the last radio single from the legendary rock band The Pretenders, and it was a fitting conclusion to the career of Chrissie Hynde and company. One of the few true ballads the band ever charted, “I’ll Stand by You” has been chosen by many couples for the wedding processional.
Only One Road – Celine Dion
Songs by Celine Dion are always popular wedding choices, and this one is a deep cut from one of her early albums. The lyrics reveal that there is only one path forward for you, and that is the journey that you and your spouse will begin on this special day.
If You’ve Got Love – John Michael Montgomery
Love is all you really need to accomplish miracles in your life, and that is exactly the message in this song by John Michael Montgomery. Those who are looking for a non-traditional wedding processional will find it works well for the bridal party’s entrance.
Man of My Word – Collin Raye
Some pop and country songs from the 90s were written specifically to be used in weddings, and this tune from Collin Raye is one of those. It is a simple declaration of a man’s promise to love his bride and honor the vows of marriage.
Love is Strong – The Rolling Stones
You might not necessarily think of The Rolling Stones when it comes to 1994 wedding songs, but this Jagger and Richards composition has found its way into many wedding receptions. It combines a strong lyrical message with an iconic Stones melody.
Livin’ on Love – Alan Jackson
This uptempo song from country legend Alan Jackson has been used at weddings since it was released in 1994. It is best reserved for the party after you say your wedding vows, and couples have also used it for the wedding send-off.
Love Sneakin’ Up on You – Bonnie Raitt
This Les Paul classic was covered by blues artist Bonnie Raitt in 1994, and it is as fun and lively as you would expect. The song can add a touch of fun and frivolity to your wedding reception when you ask the DJ to include it in the party mix.
I’ll Make Love to You – Boyz II Men
Boyz II Men scored one of their first No. 1 hits with this song written by Babyface. It’s a song that many wedding couples choose for their first dance, and the lyrics sum up all the feelings that will surround you as the wedding day festivities come to a close.
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World – Prince
If you want to put a smile on her face on your wedding day, choose this song from Prince as a special reception dedication. Few artists could capture a specific feeling like Prince, and this song says all the things you would want to express to your bride on your wedding day.
Don’t Take The Girl – Tim McGraw
Tim McGraw‘s emotional song about a boy’s lifelong love for his special girl can be used in a variety of ways on your wedding day. It has often been sung by grooms for their bride, and it has even been used for a special dance between the bride and her father.
Always – Bon Jovi
This song from Bon Jovi proves that power ballads were still a thing in 1994, and you’ll want to use it as a part of your 90s-themed wedding ceremony. The lyrics reaffirm all of the promises that you and your spouse will make to one another on your wedding day.
Listen to our best 1991 wedding songs playlist on Spotify.
I hope you enjoyed our list of 1994 wedding songs. Have a song that should be on our list? Be sure to comment it below. Also, check out our list of the best 90s wedding songs.
Celebrating weddings in 1994. Where were you and what was happening?
If you were one of the wedding songs of 1994…
Congratulations on your wedding of 1994. You share your anniversary with the following events.
Celebrity Weddings of 1994
- Heather Locklear wed Richie Sambora
- Nuno Bettencourt married Suze DeMarchi
- Dolph Lundgren wed Anette Qviberg
- Eddie Vedder married Beth Liebling
- R. Kelly wed Aaliyah
News Highlights of 1994
- Nancy Kerrigan is clubbed on the right leg by an assailant under orders from figure skating rival Tonya Harding’s ex-husband.
- Lyle Menendez and his brother Erik are found guilty and sentenced to life in prison without parole.
- Woodstock ’94 begins in Saugerties, New York. It is the 25 year anniversary of Woodstock in 1969.
- Major League Baseball players go on strike, eventually causing the cancellation of the World Series.
- The Whitewater scandal investigation begins in Washington, DC.
1994 Sports Champions:
- A labor strike by Major League Baseball players results in the premature termination of the season, and the cancellation of the World Series.
- Super Bowl XXVIII – Dallas Cowboys won 30-13 over the Buffalo Bills.
- The Houston Rockets win the NBA Title over the New York Knicks.
- The New York Rangers win the Stanley Cup over the Vancouver Canucks.
Music Highlights of 1994
- Grammy’s Song of 1994: A Whole New World – Peabo Bryson & Regina Belle
- Warren G – This DJ
- Snoop Doggy Dogg – Who Am I (What’s My Name?)
- Real McCoy – Another Night
- 69 Boyz – Tootsie Roll
- Culture Beat – Mr. Vain
- Ini Kamoze – Here Comes The Hotstepper
- Tim McGraw – Don’t Take The Girl
- Haddaway – What Is Love
- Ace Of Base – The Sign
- All-4-One – I Swear
- Boyz II Men – I’ll Make Love To You
- Celine Dion – The Power Of Love
- Mariah Carey – Hero
- Lisa Loeb And The Nine Stories – Stay (I Missed You)
- Toni Braxton – Breathe Again
- Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart And Sting – All For Love
- Ace Of Base – All That She Wants
- R Kelly – Bump N’ Grind
- Salt-N-Pepa – Whatta ManElton John – Can You Feel The Love Tonight
- Prince – The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
- Coolio – Fantastic Voyage
- Big Mountain – Baby I Love Your Way
- Warren G – Regulate
- Richard Marx – Now And Forever
- Bryan Adams – Please Forgive Me
- Salt-N-Pepa – Shoop
- Sheryl Crow – All I Wanna Do
- Crash Test Dummies – Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm
- DRS – Gangsta Lean
- US3 – Cantaloop
- Crystal Waters – 100% Pure Love
- Gin Blossoms – Found Out About You
Entertainment Highlights of 1994
- Best Picture: Schindler’s List: Steven Spielberg, Gerald R. Molen, Branko Lustig
- Best Actor: Tom Hanks – Philadelphia
- Best Actress: Holly Hunter – The Piano
Top Television Shows:
- Seinfeld, ER, Home Improvement, Monday Night Football, Grace Under Fire, 60 Minutes, N.Y.P.D. Blue, Murder, She Wrote, Friends, Roseanne, Mad About You
Learn more about 1994 on Wikipedia. Thank you for visiting our page – wedding songs of 1994.