Peter Cetera, Cyndi Lauper, and Anita Baker are a few of the artists that sang of love’s majesty and perfection in 1986. The year supplied a multitude of romantic tunes that have been used to make a wedding special. Here are some 1986 wedding songs that you might want to consider for your own celebration.
Best Wedding Songs of 1986
Glory of Love – Peter Cetera
The Karate Kid Part II might not have lived up to the original, but the presence of this song on the soundtrack summed the film up perfectly. It’s a moving ballad by Chicago‘s Peter Cetera which speaks of how hard a man is willing to fight for the love of his life.
Stuck with You – Huey Lewis & the News
Huey Lewis continued his string of 80s hits with this uptempo celebration of a lasting relationship. It may be too lively for the wedding ceremony, but it works well for dancing at the after-party.
True Colors – Cyndi Lauper
Cyndi Lauper delivered one of her most poignant songs with this tender love ballad. It is a song that is best used as a part of the wedding vows, perhaps as a musical interlude after the couple is joined at the altar.
Friends and Lovers – Gloria Loring with Carl Anderson
Gloria Loring is best known as the mother of pop superstar Robin Thicke, but she had her own pop smash on this duet with Carl Anderson. This is a song about how the spouse you have chosen also becomes your best friend.
Love Touch – Rod Stewart
Rod Stewart has a voice that is like no other, and it is on full display in this tune from the film Legal Eagles. It has a lively tempo, so you’ll probably want to reserve this song for dancing at your reception.
Anyone Can Fall in Love – Anita Dobson and the Simon May Orchestra
There is a message in this song from Anita Dobson that reaffirms the belief that there is someone for everyone. Use it in your wedding as a reminder of your self worth and know that you are deserving of true love.
Now and Forever (You and Me) – Anne Murray
Canadian songstress Anne Murray was one of the most important voices of the 70s and 80s, and her work here is perfect for a solemn expression of love. This is a smooth romantic ballad that will bring tears to the eyes of everyone in attendance at your wedding.
Sweet Love – Anita Baker
Those who prefer recorded vocals for their wedding will appreciate this tender ballad from Anita Baker. The lyrics are a simple declaration of love that is everlasting and true.
Love Always – El DeBarge
El DeBarge had a big hit with this song from his self-titled debut album. It is soft enough that the song can be easily worked into the ceremony, and many couples use it before they join together in the lighting of unity candles.
Dancing on the Ceiling – Lionel Richie
Your wedding reception playlist is an important part of the big day. This song from Lionel Richie is the perfect tune to get the party started with everyone up on their feet.
We’ve Got a Good Fire Goin’ – Don Williams
Country music superstar Don Williams was known for simple, expressive lyrics that captured the essence of what true love is all about. Couples that like country music will want to use this one for a first dance.
Love Is Forever – Billy Ocean
Billy Ocean was an 80s sensation that had a sound all his own, and he was at his best on love songs like this one. It can be used before the processional at a wedding, and it is also is good to play before you and your spouse are introduced for the first time as husband and wife.
Higher Love – Steve Winwood
Steve Winwood co-wrote this song with the legendary Eric Clapton, and it celebrates the feeling that comes with saying your sacred vows with another. It should be saved for the party after the wedding ceremony.
Addicted to Love – Robert Palmer
Every couple wants to have some lively music to dance to after the vows have been said on your wedding day. Robert Palmer was an MTV sensation for a time in 1986 with this classic hit.
Take My Breath Away – Berlin
Who can forget this timeless hit from the soundtrack of Top Gun? Berlin performs the song to perfection, so use a recording of it as a part of your wedding processional and enjoy the feelings of nostalgia.
Your Love – Outfield
The Outfield was perhaps best known for this 80s rocker which has all the elements that the music of the decade was known for. It’s a wedding reception song to be sure, but everyone will love dancing to it and singing along to the lyrics.
All I Need Is a Miracle – Mike + The Mechanics
Mike Rutherford took a break from his regular gig with Genesis to record this hit with Mike + the Mechanics. If you believe that the person you are marrying today is your miracle, be sure to use this song at your wedding party.
Love Walks In – Van Halen
Your Wildest Dreams – The Moody Blues
The Moody Blues were on their way out during the late 80s, but this hit proved that they still had what it took to be a pop success. Play it for your spouse if you want them to know that they have made all your dreams come true.
Two of Hearts – Stacey Q
This song by Stacey Q is an expression of commitment that should be a focal point of your wedding day. It celebrates the notion that two people in love can conquer the world when they are joined together in trust.
Words Get in the Way – Gloria Estefan
Are you having trouble saying the things you want to say to your partner on your wedding day? Let this love ballad from Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine speak for you during your ceremony.
Listen to our best 1986 wedding songs playlist on Spotify.
I hope you enjoyed our list of 1986 wedding songs. If you think there is a song that should be on the list, be sure to comment on it below.
Celebrating weddings of 1986. Where were you and what was happening?
If you were one of the weddings in 1986…
Congratulations on your wedding songs of 1986. You share your anniversary with the following events.
Celebrity Weddings of 1986
- Heather Locklear and Tommy Lee
- Annette Funicello and Glen Holt
- Andie MacDowell and Paul Qualley
- Terry Bradshaw and Charlotte Hopkins
- Andy Dick and Ivone Kowalczyk
News Highlights of 1986
- In retaliation for promoting terrorism, the United States imposes trade sanctions against Libya and freezes Libyan assets.
- The nation watches as the U.S. space shuttle Challenger explodes 74 seconds after liftoff.
- The Statue Of Liberty celebrates her 100th birthday.
- Voyager, an experimental airplane flown by Richard Rutan and Jeana Yeager, sets records for distance flown without refueling and endurance in its nine-day nonstop flight around the world.
1986 Sports Champions:
- The New York Mets win the World Series over the Boston Red Sox.
- Super Bowl XX – Chicago Bears won 46-10 over the New England Patriots.
- The Boston Celtics win the NBA Title over the Houston Rockets.
- The Montreal Canadiens win the Stanley Cup over the Calgary Flames.
Music Highlights of 1986
- Grammy’s Song of 1986: That’s What Friends Are For – Dionne & Friends
- Robert Palmer – Addicted To Love
- Whitney Houston – Greatest Love Of All
- Whitney Houston – How Will I Know
- Prince & The Revolution – Kiss
- Mr. Mister – Kyrie
- Pattie LaBelle & Michael McDonald – On My Own
- Falco – Rock Me Amadeus
- Starship – Sara
- The Pet Shop Boys – West End Girls
- Madonna – Open Your Heart
- Heart – These Dreams
- Simply Red – Holding Back The Years
- Billy Ocean – There’ll Be Sad Songs (To Make You Cry)
- Peter Gabriel – Sledgehammer
- Peter Cetera – Glory Of Love
- Steve Winwood – Higher Love
- Madonna – Papa Don’t Preach
- Berlin – Take My Breath Away
- Huey Lewis & The News – Stuck With You
- Cyndi Lauper – True Colors
- Janet Jackson – When I Think Of You
- Boston – Amanda
- The Human League – Human
- Peter Cetera & Amy Grant – The Next Time I Fall
- Bruce Hornsby & The Range – The Way It Is
- Bon Jovi – You Give Love A Bad Name
- Gregory Abbott – Shake You Down
- Billy Vera & The Beaters – At This Moment
- Bon Jovi – Livin’ On A Prayer
Entertainment Highlights of 1986
- Best Picture: Out of Africa: Sydney Pollack
- Best Actor: William Hurt – Kiss of the Spider Woman
- Best Actress: Geraldine Page – The Trip to Bountiful
Top Television Shows:
- Cheers, The Cosby Show, Family Ties, The Golden Girls, Growing Pains, Moonlighting, Murder, She Wrote, Night Court, 60 Minutes, Who’s The Boss
Learn more about 1986 on Wikipedia. Thank you for visiting our page – wedding songs of 1986.